Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cooling system hose installation - need some guidance

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 10:11 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

a couple hours, only because you have to be so careful dealing with the plastic stub outs.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:20 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great. Thanks so much guys.

Not much time these days, so I took it to a mechanic just to see what they could put them on for. He told me 7.2 hours labor to do all the hoses because there are a lot of parts that had to come off. He said he'd do it for 4 hours labor.

I then decided then and there I would never go back to him. So thanks for confirming what I already thought.

Will be putting them on myself tomorrow.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:44 PM
Winching

Just a quick question, should I use any kind of sealant or anything like that when putting the new hoses on?

Thanks again everyone. You have been a lot of help.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:11 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bballjames
Great. Thanks so much guys.

Not much time these days, so I took it to a mechanic just to see what they could put them on for. He told me 7.2 hours labor to do all the hoses because there are a lot of parts that had to come off. He said he'd do it for 4 hours labor.

I then decided then and there I would never go back to him. So thanks for confirming what I already thought.

Will be putting them on myself tomorrow.
Hmm how much per hour??!! I have ocean front property for sale in Kansas really cheap too! I wouldn't go back..

Old 07-06-2012, 10:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bballjames
Just a quick question, should I use any kind of sealant or anything like that when putting the new hoses on?

Thanks again everyone. You have been a lot of help.
the only thing that I use is a bit of washing up liquid and new hose clamps

Old 07-07-2012, 06:33 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

bball,
In my opinion it makes the job much easier if you remove the belt gaurd, cooling fan, fan shroud, serpentine belt and tensioner. All these components come of in a matter of minutes (if you have the tools). Once they are removed there is much more room to get to the hoses, thermostat, and the water pump hose and clamp.
As far as the plastic coolant return hoses go, grab them and bend them, if one snaps replace them all..
No sealant is necessary

Last edited by threalassmikeg; 07-07-2012 at 06:36 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Winching

Thanks guys. I really appreciate everyone's advice.

Got the job done in about 3.5 hours. Nothing too tricky except those dang hoses that go to the heater core! They were like glued on. Just carefully cut them off though... Got new, wide clamps for all the hoses. The little soap trick helped alot.

Refilled with about 2 gallons of coolant along with a bottle of water wetter. Got all the air out. Cranked it over, it took about 15 minutes for it to warm up to 204 where it stayed still.

No leaks or coolant coming out anywhere... success!

Thanks again everyone!

Old 07-08-2012, 04:51 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

where you have just replaced all you hoses there are many connection as you know know. i would suggest borrowing a preasure tester and be sure there are no leaks, you dont want to be overly confident and run out of coolent in a wek from a lose clamp. JMHO

Old 07-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by drowssap
where you have just replaced all you hoses there are many connection as you know know. i would suggest borrowing a preasure tester and be sure there are no leaks, you dont want to be overly confident and run out of coolent in a wek from a lose clamp. JMHO
Thanks for the advice drowssap. What's the pressure to test at? I think I remember it being like somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-18 psi?

Also I will be checking my coolant level everyday for the next week and a half or so because I tend to be a little on the paranoid side... will be sure to make sure there are no leaks though.

Thanks

Old 07-30-2012, 05:42 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi dear i also have a car which cooling system is not working properly i really worried about it any body if have any suggestion then tell me back at i will wait Thanks!!!!

Quick Reply: cooling system hose installation - need some guidance