Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling System Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 08:18 PM
TReK
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Cooling System Issue

My truck is acting like it has a bad thermostat.

The Water pump is circulating coolant, I can see it in the reservoir, and the heat is working perfectly.

I've drained it a few times while putting in a new thermostat, but I just boiled the old 180, and it opened up right at 180.

I drained the coolant from the bottom of the radiator and was able to pull air through the radiator with a vacuum.

I have the tube out of the thermostat that is vertical going up to the coolant elbow and the radiator, the smaller 45 degree tube to the water pump.

I am not sure how to proceed aside from drain it again, and put the tested thermostat back on.

Can anyone think of anything I am missing? It's like there is something obvious, but I am just not seeing it. The Engine temp sensor is new, radiator relatively new, and the thermostat should be working.

All I can think of is obstruction in the lower radiator hose.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

Welcome to my hell

Old 05-25-2018, 01:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

You could be getting air sucked in through a bad coolant reservoir cap, bad throttle body heater/connections, or bad bleed screw.

Air in the system is going to make everything funky.

Consider the inline thermostat mod, plugging (just temporarily!) the coolant overflow tube, and duct taping or otherwise double-sealing the bleed screw.

Remove and plug the throttle body heater+tubes for a test, too.

Also, check your oil level just in case you are super low.

Add in Water Wetter to pure distilled water as a coolant temp test.

Check fan speed/connections for radiator.

Consider adding a $5 heat sink around your oil filter.

Test your coolant for exhaust fumes (just in case).

Check your air flow through radiator. Discos have some interesting air shrouds next to the headlights, and verify upper+lower main fan shroud is all intact and properly directing airflow.

Maybe consider removing the belly pan tray?

Old 05-25-2018, 06:50 AM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

My recent cooling troubles were due to 3 bad thermostats I received from Atlantic British and lucky 8
so im not sure if there is a bad batch of ****ty parts going around or what
my Tstat also opened in a pot of water but it did not open on the truck so I was running 220 degrees

also on a side note just purchased a wiper motor from rock auto and guess what doesn't work
had to reinstall my old one

I'm not liking the parts quality these days

Old 05-25-2018, 06:50 AM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

But if you have heat and your bottom rad hose is cold / warm
then try a new Tstat

Old 05-25-2018, 08:07 AM
TReK

Thanks guys. I tried my old coolant res cap no difference. When it is cool, going to try to inspect the top of the reservoir/bottle.

also, find another thermostat. Or I may just do inline.

I'm just going to do the inline mod if the Coolant Bottle checks out ok.

Last edited by CollieRover; 05-25-2018 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:30 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

You've done a **** ton of work on this engine, hate to see these issues. Hang in there. You've had the cooling system open a bunch it looks like. Tighten all hose clamps again, inspect all hoses, double check belt routing. When u do the bleeds, front of truck raised and res bottle raised too. Something somebody says is gonna get this thing right...

Old 05-25-2018, 09:08 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by jamestfl
You've done a **** ton of work on this engine, hate to see these issues. Hang in there. You've had the cooling system open a bunch it looks like. Tighten all hose clamps again, inspect all hoses, double check belt routing. When u do the bleeds, front of truck raised and res bottle raised too. Something somebody says is gonna get this thing right...
fwiw- did the inline mod a couple years ago and have had zero cooling issues since then. It's pretty straightforward and makes the system a bit simpler and more stable.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:13 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by jamestfl
Thanks. I am going to tighten everything up, step away, tomorrow go to Autozone get coolant test strips, and the pressure tester. No sense is continuing to dump coolant everywhere.

If the pressure tests is good, there are no exhaust gases in the coolant I may do the thermostat mod, because at that point it is that or the water pump, and I can see the water pump is working.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:42 AM
TReK

Thermostat still not opening. Everything is tight. I got the top hose onto the current thermostat really really far down, thought maybe it was not bleeding.

Quick Reply: Cooling System Issue