Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cooling system presure

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 10:51 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cooling system presure

2002 disco II 62k mi

Having trouble with cooling system presure. I 've been adding coolant for last 6 months. Sometimes a hose blows off. Never overheated untill recently. Changed thermostat, appeared to correct problem at first but now it overheats after I drive about 4 or 5 miles after cold start. I pull over and it cools off and is good for the rest of the day. Sounds like thermostat is sticking so I changed it again but problem still persist.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:07 PM
Overlanding

I started bleeding system in the evening instead of in the morning. Hasn't overheated last two times I drove it.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:11 PM
Mudding

Check your pressure cap. Sometimes, when an anti-leaking compound is added to the cooling system, the particles accumulate on the pressure relief valve in the cap causing system pressure to go higher than 16 LBS, blowing a hose.

In regards to bleeding the system, the overflow tank needs to be higher than the bleed screw to be able to get all the air out. So, either use a long funnel or lift the DII from the right side with a floor jack or park it on a steep incline sideways.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:52 AM
Overlanding

Thanks for the tip. I will order a new cap. I'm not aware of any anti-leaking compond being added to the truck. May have been done before I purchased it. I had been mixing different brands of coolant before I was made aware thats not a good idea.

I'm really not sure if I am bleeding the system correctly. I was not aware that the overflow tank needed to be higher. Are there any aother procedures for proper bleeding that I should know?

Old 03-22-2011, 10:34 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You need to go a step or two past what you have done so far. There is a real good chance you have a blown head gasket and the longer you let this go the better the odds are that you will also crack a head or drop a sleeve, then there goes the engine.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:46 AM
Overlanding

A mechanic told me I have a leaky head gasket. He said on a scale of 1-10 he would rate it a 3. He said if I keep coolant level up it should be OK for a long time. Another mechanic said the motor should be completly rebuilt, including sleves and rings. Said cost would be upward of 5 thousand. Another said he really didn't know what was wrong. My mechanical knowlede is limited but I love my rover and want to learn more about it. It's not my primary vehicle but I want to be confident I can make short trips and get off road when I get a chance. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:56 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fix your leaky head gaskets before it becomes a bigger problem - because it sure will.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:33 PM
Overlanding

Sounds like good advice. What is a reasonable ball park price for head gasket replacement?

Old 03-22-2011, 03:43 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Around $2K give or take a couple hundred. Tom Rowe (antichrist) is in GA, he may be able to point you to a good shop.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Overlanding

Thanks, I'll check in to it. I'm willing to spend the money. I just want to be sure I get it done right if I lay out that much cash.

Quick Reply: cooling system presure