Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could regular gas cause a misfire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2021 | 09:37 AM
|
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by mollusc
Dude, something's seriously wrong. Not even a Disco should be that slow. I cruise at 75mph on the NJ Turnpike.

I don't drive past 45MPH in it... the local speed limits are extremely slow and I don't drive it on the highway

I might have posted that last message incorrectly... lol

Old 03-05-2021 | 11:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by gleepglorp
I don't drive past 45MPH in it... the local speed limits are extremely slow and I don't drive it on the highway

I might have posted that last message incorrectly... lol
the engines in these trucks need to be driven hard on occasion.

like some hard acceleration up to 4,000 RPMs or so to help burn the carbon build up out of things.

Old 03-05-2021 | 11:39 AM
|
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by jastutte
the engines in these trucks need to be driven hard on occasion.

like some hard acceleration up to 4,000 RPMs or so to help burn the carbon build up out of things.
I'll have to go on a back road to do this but thanks.

Old 03-05-2021 | 11:41 AM
Pro Wrench

wait you guys can drive these at highway speeds without the revs hitting 4k? If there is the slightest uphill it downshifts and is up there already lol. Mine will go as fast as the slope will allow, uphill depending on the grade I'm lucky if I'm not hemorrhaging speed. Up floyd hill out of denver on 70west I routinely get passed by semis, only thing I'm faster than are old ****box modified toyotas lol

Old 03-05-2021 | 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

4k??? Heck I drive mine constantly to the rev limiter when accelerating lol. No driving Mrs Daisy here. 95 D1 hadn't seen 4-5k in I dunno how long. Blew out some broken cat pieces and some carbon and drives great now!

All LR shops used to do was take a poorly running D2 for a test drive, leave the lot in 1st and let it bounce off the rev limiter. If you looked back and saw black smoke, you sold the customer a LR fuel treatment, then reset the adaptive settings and told em to drive it like they stole it. Using seafoam on a driving Mrs Daisy LR = a true sight to see as it would smoke FOREVER!!

LR V8's run rich by nature so babying em just builds up carbon deposits. Drive it like ya stole it & they stay pretty clean.

The following 2 users liked this post by Best4x4:
jastutte (03-05-2021), whowa004 (03-05-2021)
Old 03-05-2021 | 12:29 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by whowa004
wait you guys can drive these at highway speeds without the revs hitting 4k? If there is the slightest uphill it downshifts and is up there already lol. Mine will go as fast as the slope will allow, uphill depending on the grade I'm lucky if I'm not hemorrhaging speed. Up floyd hill out of denver on 70west I routinely get passed by semis, only thing I'm faster than are old ****box modified toyotas lol
Floyd Hill? You need to put it in Sport Mode for that.
(I used to live in Wheat Ridge.)

The following users liked this post:
whowa004 (03-05-2021)
Old 03-05-2021 | 12:46 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by mollusc
Floyd Hill? You need to put it in Sport Mode for that.
(I used to live in Wheat Ridge.)
Oh I do lol still just slows continuously until 45 mph or so ha

Old 03-05-2021 | 10:42 PM
Rock Crawling

You guys really rev these things? I feel like it has so much low end grunt anything over 3k is just noise. Almost diesel like. That's what I like about the motor more than anything else, it doesn't need rpms to make power.

Old 03-05-2021 | 10:50 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by dswilly
You guys really rev these things? I feel like it has so much low end grunt anything over 3k is just noise. Almost diesel like. That's what I like about the motor more than anything else, it doesn't need rpms to make power.
low end power is great but trying moving one of these pigs at 5-12k ft of elevation and you won't be below 3k rpms very much on anything other than downhills especially once you modify them. No there isn't much power up there but 4th gear is useless and even 3rd gear is kind of gutless... I will say that adding a level 2 Crower cam this has helped immensely with that dead spot from 2500-4000 rpms by no means quick but it does make an attempt to pull through that range where as before it did nothing but make noise.

Old 03-05-2021 | 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

Yep when I accelerate I keep my foot down and let the HP22/HP24 do it's thing. I don't lift and let it shift down, I let it shift down when it wants to. 95 D1 is usually up to about 3-4k to accelerate, and the D2 can go all the way to 5.5K if you keep your foot on it especially in Sport Mode. I have never babied any of my vehicles as far as RPM's are concerned and I've yet to ever have a carbon issue lol.

I even had a Dodge Caravan as my company vehicle (all the guys got em nearly at the same exact time) I drove it like I stole it, and guess who had the only Dodge Caravan still left in the fleet? Me lol

I dropped my daughter off in the 02 Kalahari the other day, and when I left I gassed it to get out into the street before the traffic caught up to me. Darn TC kicked in and the back tires were burning rubber for a second or two. Whenever I drive my LR's in the Hill Country (especially the 97 D1, and the 99 D2 with all their heavy duty off road mods) I usually drop em into 3rd and just leave em there. It's better having higher RPM's vs having the transmission up shifting/downshifting constantly. Once the LR V8 gets above 2500RPM I can go 80MPH no problem, but once in the hills it'll of coarse go down to 65MPH, but it's still better than any of my Jeeps which could barely go 55MPH in the same conditions.

Last time I went to Austin, TX I got caught in some crazy road construction BS which added nearly 2hr to my darn drive... Once I finally got thru that and a big accident in Houston, TX I put my foot down and yes I was hauling some serious (_!_). It ended up being me and this Lexus GX/LX from Houston, TX all the way to Elgin, TX. In the hilly parts he'd get away from me, but I always caught back up after the hills. I think he was surprised I kept up with all my off road mods lol. I was 2MPH from triple digits at one point. I think we both had places to be and we were the only ones out on the darn road. The whole time I was thinking look at my 02 LR with 240K go! I was keeping up with a 2018-2020 SUV and I wasn't driving with a death grip on the wheel or anything. Just cruising along listening to good music, and zipping thru the dark with a Lexus lol. When I exited I flashed my lights and he tapped his brake lights. I made up a lot of time cruising with that Lexus and I did all that at 193F on a nice cool TX winter night.

I don't normally drive like that, but like Jeremy Clarkson put it it's not speed that kills you, it's the sudden stop that'll get ya!

Last edited by Best4x4; 03-05-2021 at 11:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Could regular gas cause a misfire?