Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couldnt close my front sunroof....

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 07:04 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Couldnt close my front sunroof....

Yesterday so I tried it with the allen key, after an hour of cursing and shouting I stripped the allen hole, and broke the motor (I think) since it just keeps spinning now, I have it almost completely closed
should I just close it forever? What are my options? It was leaking to begin with anyway.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:28 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the motor assembly and replace it. That might allow you to close it correctly. Or you could get the manual crank and put that in.

No matter what you do, they're likely to fail again. They're just badly designed. The components are under a lot of stress and not up to it, so eventually bend and/or break.

Plus the whole mechanism reminds me of that old "Mouse Trap" game. If the guy doesn't land in the bathtub correctly, the sunroof doesn't close.

Even the drain system is a joke. It will work if you park on level ground, but otherwise, water just flows over a corner of the tray. I spent 2 days changing the drain setup and rerouting the hoses so it works under all conditions. The change in the design is simple, but adding it takes a bit.

Having spent years restoring & repairing British cars, my conclusion is that British designers just weren't very good.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:37 AM
Winching

Maybe Ill just close it up and seal it shut. THe rear still works.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:03 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Make sure no mater what you do, you clean and grease the rear sun roof track assembly or this will just happen again.
By the way, you can buy a good, guaranteed, used sun roof assembly and just replace your, Paul Grant has them.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:14 AM
Winching

Yeah Ive been talking to Paul about it already, thanks mike! I will clean and lube the rear when I get home. I dont know what Ill do with the front yet, Its got my panties in a twist right now