Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coupla Questions from Intake Manifold Job

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 11:28 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Coupla Questions from Intake Manifold Job

Hey all - quick search revealed nothing so two questions:

1. Replacing the upper and lower intake gaskets and the process fighting with the piece of garbage SAI pipes. Managed to get one off fine, the other twisted and cracked, though it's still intact.

Just fell out of my chair at the AB price for a new one, SO...is this something that's going to cause me issues down the road? Or immediately? My piecemeal understanding of the SAI system is it doesn't even work all the time, just on startup.

2. Rave says the following about the VC bolts:

CAUTION: Screws/bolts must be replaced
with new 'patched' multi-hex bolts.

?? Is that a big crock, or something I need to get? The AB intake gasket kit didn't come with replacement bolts.

TIA!

Old 08-22-2010, 06:09 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ShortTom
2. Rave says the following about the VC bolts:

CAUTION: Screws/bolts must be replaced
with new 'patched' multi-hex bolts.

?? Is that a big crock, or something I need to get? The AB intake gasket kit didn't come with replacement bolts.

TIA!
I questioned that too since they say it's ok to re-use the intake manifold bolts. I ordered them anyway from AB ($1.95 each... $15.60 for all 8). Also, it's probably a good idea to replace the oil separator ($5.95) as long as you have it all apart. (mine had never been done and had to drive it out with a center punch and hammer!)
Sorry, can't help you with SAI. Don't have that on mine.

Eric

Old 08-22-2010, 07:11 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

actually if you have a stud remover you can take out the studs and then take off the intake without removing the SAI tubes.

Or to get the tubes off use an impact chisel and hit it just enough to loosen it. works all the time. just dont do it while its still warm or slip.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:47 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by SDinDS
I questioned that too since they say it's ok to re-use the intake manifold bolts. I ordered them anyway from AB ($1.95 each... $15.60 for all 8). Also, it's probably a good idea to replace the oil separator ($5.95) as long as you have it all apart. (mine had never been done and had to drive it out with a center punch and hammer!)
Sorry, can't help you with SAI. Don't have that on mine.

Eric
Many thanks...I think I'll pass on the bolts...its not like those things get stretched like head bolts, unless they're known to leak or something? Might stop by a dealership and take a look at the replacements to see if they're significantly different.

Thanks on the oil separator...might look into that too.

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
actually if you have a stud remover you can take out the studs and then take off the intake without removing the SAI tubes.

Or to get the tubes off use an impact chisel and hit it just enough to loosen it. works all the time. just dont do it while its still warm or slip.
Hm, yeah, I'll try to be more careful next time...but one tube was already cracked slightly and I just made it worse. Any idea on how this will affect performance? Will it just be loud or something? I guess I'll see when I get her back together....

Old 08-27-2010, 02:21 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I did the same thing with my SAI tubes and one twisted and cracked. I sattered it back together and no issues. Yeah... I was not going to pay to buy a new one for $200+. I reused the bolts for the SAI also for a few didfferent discos I have done with no problem.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:35 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Land Rover Rule No. 6: When in doubt PM discomike!
'nuf said
brian aka pilsner

Old 10-30-2010, 05:22 PM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ignition Coil Pack Replacement

Does anyone know if you have to replace the upper intake manifold and gasket in order to change a coil pack or is there some sort of work around where you can do it without?

Old 10-30-2010, 10:14 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did my valve covers and had to take the intake off in order to get to them. YOU DO NOT NEED TO DISCONECT THE SAI PIPES FROM THE ENGINE.Just disconect them from the intake and since they are flexible, simply push them away from the intake. They will move away! After the valve cover job I simply pushed them back to the intake and bolted them again. It works! Hope this helps for future jobs.

For the coil pack....You got to take the upper intake off and replace the gasket.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did my head gaskets, and I reused the bolts. I scraped the "Patching" off the old bolts, and put some right stuff on the bottom of the bolt head do that it would seal. I also re-used the SAI adapters that go into the head, just used some hi-temp loctite on them. I broke my said tube, but not the metal one, I broke the flimsy plastic tube that goes from the bump to the hard line. The crappy plastic tube is over $150 new, so I improvised.

Name:  IMG00053-20101031-2225.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  84.5 KB

Old 11-04-2010, 07:29 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by souljad9
I just did my head gaskets, and I reused the bolts. I scraped the "Patching" off the old bolts, and put some right stuff on the bottom of the bolt head do that it would seal. I also re-used the SAI adapters that go into the head, just used some hi-temp loctite on them. I broke my said tube, but not the metal one, I broke the flimsy plastic tube that goes from the bump to the hard line. The crappy plastic tube is over $150 new, so I improvised.

Ingenius. It must be nice to not worry about resale value.

Quick Reply: Coupla Questions from Intake Manifold Job