Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple questions about replacing exhaust manifold gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 10:32 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Couple questions about replacing exhaust manifold gaskets

So I recently replaced the upstream o2 sensors but somehow the truck is running like **** during idling. P0130 code. Excessive engine noise when accelerating and exhaust fumes burn the eyes. So Im curious is a exhaust leak at the manifolds can cause issues with the fuel to air mixture and thus the symptoms Im getting? I have the gaskets but curious if they can be replaced without completly removing the exhaust manifolds from the heads. Also does it matter which way the gaskets are inserted?

2004 D2

Old 07-04-2018, 03:00 PM
Received 1,146 Likes on 792 Posts

I am looking at doing mine because I have a nagging exhaust leak I can not track down. It looks like you should be able remove all the bolts and slip the old ones out and the new ones in. Putting the bolts in just a bit to hold the new gaskets in place.

I have not tried it yet but it looks doable, I am sure a read a thread about it somewhere

Old 07-04-2018, 04:03 PM
TReK

Im looking at the drivers side bolts right now. Figured Id do the hard ones first. Sure the upper bolts are all accessible from the top end and most of the lower bolts can probably be accessed as well, but this here bolt is a bitch to access and because of how close it is to the sheilding material I cant get a tool on the socket in order to break it loose. I figured maybe if I remove the 3 nuts from the upper cat then I could pull the exhaust down enough to gain more room and allow me to replace the upper catalytic gaskets while Im up there. But of course I cant pull the exhaust far enough to replace said gaskets or access the manifold bolt. Everything is so dam crammed together.

Last edited by TRIARII; 07-04-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:20 PM

Yea that one's a bitch I used a short socket 12 mm and 3/8th drive ratchet when I checked that one. But I went in from on top.

I figure if you can break it loose a 12 mm ratching wrench should work

Old 07-04-2018, 04:50 PM
TReK

Hmmm yeah I tried going in from the top but my sockets and ratchet are too fat or too long so cant get them on the bolt in order to break it. And I just broke one of the upper catalytic to manifold bolts. .... what a day.

Old 07-04-2018, 05:15 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

you'll need lots of penetrating spray or those will break off. extract and replace with new #8 hardware or you will round the bolts when you try to eliminate the exhaust leaks you get there when you put it back together.

It takes a U joint socket adapter and a variety of extensions to get the manifold bolt there.

Old 07-04-2018, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Hmmm yeah I tried going in from the top but my sockets and ratchet are too fat or too long so cant get them on the bolt in order to break it. And I just broke one of the upper catalytic to manifold bolts. .... what a day.
Sounds like the day I had replacing my rear pads -

Could not find my big C clamp
Broke a caliper bolt - enough left out to get it with a pair of vice grips
Started to rain while I hunted up my spare, stopped as soon as I finished
Left rear caliper piston was slightly cockeyed, got it sorted out and it worked right.

Working on vehicles is such fun some times

Old 07-04-2018, 08:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Dont want to suggest a harder method...but...

If you take the manifolds off the heads, both sides, the whole exhaust system drops down 3-6 inches making gasket changes and broken stud change much easier.

But

You might have to replace those gaskets too, depending on whether they are still decent or not.

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (07-04-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 07:51 AM
TReK

By those gaskets your referring to the manifold to head metal gaskets? Those are actually the primary objective as mine are leaking. Figured id replace all 4 manifold to head metal gaskets and both y-pipe to manifold metal gaskets. Just need smaller ratchet and shorter socket and extractor to pull the broken bolt out.

The following users liked this post:
shanechevelle (07-06-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 10:28 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,187 Likes on 849 Posts

Try a box-end wrench (12 pt.)...on that last bolt from underneath.

Brian.

Quick Reply: Couple questions about replacing exhaust manifold gaskets