Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple questions about replacing exhaust manifold gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 01:33 PM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Also, when ever removing the nut from the stud that connects the downpipes to the exhaust manifolds, use an impact wrench. You're a lot less likely to snap the stud when removing the nut. If you try to turn that nut by hand with a normal ratchet you're just building up torque on that poor old stud making it all the more likely it'll ruin your day.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:32 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Well I took everyone's advise and unbolted the driver side exhaust manifold, which consequently allowed me to drop the driver side portion of the y-pipe low enough to swap out the gasket. During the procedure I managed to pull the exhaust manifold up and out through the engine bay in order to better access the broken bolt. Tried using an extractor kit but the bit simply would not bit, despite having started the hole with a drill bit. Then I tried cutting off the long end and drilling through what remained of the bolt to see if that would break it loose but broke 4 drill bits instead. Said **** it, installed new manifold and exhaust gaskets (drivers side only) and put everything back together. Ill deal with the bolt later. Will work on passenger side another day. Penetrating oil helped get the job done.

Thanks for the help and feedback everyone.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:10 PM
TReK

Today I resumed work on the exhaust manifolds and upper y-pipe. Yesterday I finished replacing all the exhaust gaskets on the drivers side and today I finished the passenger side gaskets. Truck runs smoother and quieter now. Working in the passenger side manifold is so much easier than the driver side. Had no real issues save for a broken manifold bolt STUCK IN THE BLOCK! Previous owner must have snapped it the last time he was working on the exhaust. The other 7 bolts came out easily so not sure how he snapped it but eventually Im gonna have to figure out how to pull it out... For now Im calling it a day. Truck runs better so hell with it.

Thanks again for all the help.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:45 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Right angle drill. Drill in the center then use a bolt extractor. It's a shaft with splines raised on the sides. You tap it in and use the extractor tool and twist it.

Old 07-07-2018, 04:59 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,188 Likes on 850 Posts

If you didn't repair that broken bolt...that new gasket won't last long. Just remove everything again and heat that broken bolt with a torch a couple times, letting it cool down in between heating. This will make the steel bolt expand and contract enough to break it's bond with the aluminum head. Don't heat the aluminum. Spray it down with WD40 and let it sit for a bit...then it should turn right out with visegrips.

Brian.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 366 Likes on 285 Posts

Are you saying you can't get a nut on the broken stud? It looks pretty long to me. If it's not long enough, I would take a grinder to the manifold and remove enough material so that I could get a nut on the stud. The deputy is right, that new gasket will fail in short order without being clamped down.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:03 PM
TReK

So Im wondering if an exhaust leak at the manifold on passenger side would cause the upstream passenger side 02 sensor to malfunction? I recently replaced both upstream 02 sensors and now Im getting new codes indicating bad upstream passenger sensor. Im also getting some smoke from tailpipe and strong fumes from exhaust. I had this issue prior to replacing the exhaust gaskets and 02 sensors and then all was well. But now the old symptoms are back. Could all these symptoms be caused by the exhaust manifold leak where the broken bolt is?