Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked Block?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 09:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by jastutte
i had a sudden loss of coolant, temps started to run higher and I could smell coolant.
i had a shop do the front cover. i wasn't confident i could tackle that type of work. now after having done the water pump the extra steps to do the front cover don't seem that intimidating.
Hi Jastutte,

I should have asked this earlier today but didn't think of it.. duh. How did you determine it was the front cover? Was that determined by a pressure test or something? Apparently they've run all the tests and are having difficulty determining what the issue is. I'm so frustrated I'm ready to park it and not even think about it at all. And that's sad.

Christina

Old 08-08-2018, 09:29 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

If it actually gushed out then a pressure test should make it obvious if it is or is not the front cover.

The following users liked this post:
KernowDiscovery (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 09:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Dave03S
If it actually gushed out then a pressure test should make it obvious if it is or is not the front cover.
Yeah, that is what I was thinking.. thanks. He said that they would do 3 tests but today he didn't mention pressure testing.. he talked a lot about the combustion test. I'll call him tomorrow and see if they did indeed do a pressure test and ask about the front cover.

I don't see this being head gaskets but what do I know. No white exhaust, no steam cleaned spark plugs, combustion test failed (faintly) after 20 minutes of running and big dumps of coolant.

No noise which I'm reading about a lot with slipped liners.
No overheating so how would the block crack?
Viscous clutch is running 24/7.. weird.
No misfires
yada yada yada.

This is sooo frustrating...
I'll stop venting.. thanks for listening. Just at my wit's end.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:42 AM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
Have you considered just buying another D2?
I see lots of overpriced junk, but occasionally, a good truck at a good price pops up.
Again, given the cost of a new engine, plus labor, you may be better off.
Extinct has a great looking black(03?) for sale, with everything it needs done, and then some.
You could buy something like that and still save money...plus you'de have a parts truck.
however you stil got the same ****ty engine

my advise save up and buy a new block
here in Canada a new or remanufactured long block runs 10 k

now in on any other vehicle this would be crazy however these discos are comfortable they are different looking and very capable and starting to become very rare in good shape

I'm thinking of selling mine and I'm getting offers of 8-9 k I had to back out of selling because I'm seing such a demand now for this and I really don't want to sell it however I may increase the asking price to 12 k cdn and wait

and the only reason why I'm considering selling is because of these engines.
The thought of spending 10 k kinda turns me off

Old 08-09-2018, 08:07 AM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by redwhitekat

however you stil got the same ****ty engine

my advise save up and buy a new block
here in Canada a new or remanufactured long block runs 10 k

now in on any other vehicle this would be crazy however these discos are comfortable they are different looking and very capable and starting to become very rare in good shape

I'm thinking of selling mine and I'm getting offers of 8-9 k I had to back out of selling because I'm seing such a demand now for this and I really don't want to sell it however I may increase the asking price to 12 k cdn and wait

and the only reason why I'm considering selling is because of these engines.
The thought of spending 10 k kinda turns me off
She wants her truck, and to obviously save as much as she can.
I agree the engines are junk.
That's why I suggested an LS swap in previous posts.

KernowDiscovery (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 08:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 246 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
Hi Jastutte,

I should have asked this earlier today but didn't think of it.. duh. How did you determine it was the front cover? Was that determined by a pressure test or something? Apparently they've run all the tests and are having difficulty determining what the issue is. I'm so frustrated I'm ready to park it and not even think about it at all. And that's sad.

Christina
my shop did a pressure test that resulted in very obvious leaks. so, it was relatively easy to diagnose and fix.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:43 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by jastutte
my shop did a pressure test that resulted in very obvious leaks. so, it was relatively easy to diagnose and fix.
This is easily done with the Autozone rental tool as well. The shop should be easily able to do this for an hour's labor.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:38 AM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

What is the LS swap ?
I'm assuming you would need a shop to do some rewiring unless they are a Landu shop good luck

Old 08-09-2018, 09:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
What is the LS swap ?
I'm assuming you would need a shop to do some rewiring unless they are a Landu shop good luck
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...n-90395/page6/

Old 08-09-2018, 09:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle

So I stopped in at the shop on my way to work and asked if they had conducted a pressure test. When we spoke on the phone the first time to set this up they said that they would so I was surprised today when he said 'what kind of pressure test?' He didn't remember me either so that was interesting.. I said 'I spoke to you on the phone yesterday about my Rover' and he said 'I speak to a lot of people on the phone about their Rovers'.

ARGH... I have met him before too.

So anyway, I said 'you have my blue Land Rover out in the parking lot, we spoke yesterday about the strange symptoms and I'd like to discuss it'.

and this is what I said:
'from what I've been reading, there are 2 main areas where Rover owners are seeing coolant entering the oil. Headgaskets and the front cover. If you were to drop the oil pan and do a pressure test, if the front cover was the culprit, you'd see leaking into the pan.'

His ears perked up..
He seemed surprised.
The man sitting in the lobby waiting for his vehicle seemed amused.

'I like this idea', he said. 'It's out of the box'.

Thank you LRO and LRF for the tips and experience.

I went on... 'if you don't see coolant leaking out during the pressure test, let's rule out the front cover. Then maybe we could look into digging into the cylinders and go from there.'

He brought up an image of the gasket on his computer and agreed that 'yes, it could leak there'.

We did discuss the combustion test again and how they didn't see anything until after 20 minutes of running when the chemical test turned green. SO... my thoughts are:

1) I may have a small head gasket leak as combustion gases showed eventually
2) I may have both.. a small head gasket leak (as I've dealt with these before) and a major leak somewhere else (front cover, intake manifold gasket, etc.)
3) I could be screwed and it's a slipped liner or cracked block.

His Rover tech is off work for a few days so no one will be looking at it until next week at the earliest. At least I have a process of elimination direction and they are on the same page now. We shall see.

Thanks again,
Christina

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 08-09-2018 at 10:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Cracked Block?