Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cranky crank sensor

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 10:56 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cranky crank sensor

I am replacing the cps in my 2000 DII. The sensor apparently seized the day after installing a new starter, which was needed. For the cps, no problem getting the outer casing off with the 7mm nuts, and the two 8 mm nuts came off easily that hold the sensor. However, the sensor itself will not pop out, or not easily at least. I don't want to break anything. Any ideas or suggestions to get this out?

Old 07-20-2012, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

See attached, should just wiggle out. Plug in new sensor first, let dangle to install. Looking at the photo of the drilled reluctor disc, you can see that there are about sixty place where the "groove" gets closer together. The tip of the sensor is in that area, and if bent, might be binding up. Might try to "bump" starter with ignition and see if you get to one of the wider spots in the "groove".

Attached Thumbnails Cranky crank sensor-ckp-sensor-internal.jpg   Cranky crank sensor-d1-reluctor-ring-oil-pan.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 ckp.pdf (1.55 MB, 112 views)
Old 07-20-2012, 08:56 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

How do you know the sensor seized up, do you have a starting issue and a check engine light, if so what are the fault code numbers?

Old 07-20-2012, 09:49 AM
4wd Low

Guys: Thanks for the tips. Yes the truck stopped dead in its tracks (no warning) fortunately in my driveway, and the s and m lights flash - it will not start. I thought the cps sensor was the most likely culprit. This happened just a day after replacing the starter, which failed with much noise just days before. The vehicle started and ran fine for about 6 starts after that - then stopped dead while running. I assume but do not know that these events were related. Is this likely?
I will try to wiggle the sensor out. A new one should arrive today. The vehicle is out in the open and it is pouring rain today (west coast) so may have to delay until tomorrow. Any further suggestions or knowledge welcome.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:14 AM
Administrator

So, now your engine will only turn over but not start, is that what you are saying?
Normaly the crank sensor will not shut the engine down, usually always make them have start issues.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:15 PM
4wd Low

Mike: That is correct. It will not start. Turns over well but no ignition. But it did stop very suddenly after running for a short time. The engine just quit faster than you can say it. No sputtering. Would not restart, either immediately or after waiting hours or days. Another heavy duty battery was jumped onto the DII;'s battery just in case the voltage was low, but that made no difference. My assumption then from what I have read was that this pointed to an electrical cps failure? I will not know if this is right until a new one is installed. Your help much appreciated, I am new at this. G.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:18 PM
4wd Low

Mike: I will get the fault code numbers - it just stopped pouring rain.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Have you tried resetting your inerita switch??

Old 07-20-2012, 12:36 PM
4wd Low

Mike: The code reads P1884 Land Rover; CAN message WFPDK; (DKI) invlaid (FFh). What does that indicate?

Old 07-20-2012, 12:47 PM
4wd Low

Yes I tried a reset on the inertia switch - no effect.

Quick Reply: Cranky crank sensor