Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creaking Dashboard Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 08:55 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Creaking Dashboard Noise

It's one thing after another with my 2003 LR Discovery!!!

There is a very annoying creaking sound coming from what sounds to be inside the dashboard.

I removed the glove compartment, climate control, center console (the part with where the gear selector **** and handbrake are), clock, and 6-switch cluster, coin tray, ashtray and cup holder and the noise is still there.

Tightened the screws holding the dashboard - there are 6 screws from the cupholder assembly, and one each behind the clock and switch cluster.

I haven't removed the radio but I know it's not that since I put my hand inside the hole of the climate control and try to hold the radio firmly and the noise is still there.

What is strange is the noise gets louder after 10-15 minutes of driving. What the heck is this?

I googled this issue and it seems to be a common problem. Some of the sources of the noise other people identified are:
1. Loose or broken clip from exterior A pillar trim
2. Malfunction with the recirculation feature on the A/C, something about a rod needing some relubing... but remember I removed the climate control unit so I have no A/C right now
3. Loose wiper arm
4. Idler belt pulley
5. Heater fan or air conditioner fan

Anyone here had this happen and know how to fix it?

As always, many thanks in advance!

Regards

Al
2003 D2 SE7

Last edited by aguison; 04-07-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

A mechanic's stethoscope, to be used by you, and a co-pilot (to drive while you listen to things you can touch)...... most parts stores sell them. Or a yardstick.

Maybe little fan that sucks in air to tell climate control the interior temp - behind louvers left of steering column

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 04-07-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:21 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
A mechanic's stethoscope, to be used by you, and a co-pilot (to drive while you listen to things you can touch)...... most parts stores sell them. Or a yardstick.

Maybe little fan that sucks in air to tell climate control the interior temp - behind louvers left of steering column
Yeah I bought a stethoscope from Pepboys but the wife wants nothing to do wth the troubleshooting. So doing this by myself so far.....

The stethoscope has a metal rod which I am a little afraid to poke inside the dashboard due to electrical shorting

Yardstick? Joking or serious? Little fan behind louvers left of steering column... the noise is coming from around the center of the dashboard, so I think the fan theory is out the door

Thanks for the input. Buzz, any other ideas?

Al

Old 04-08-2013, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Yard stick works great under hood. Sound travels better through a solid. Got Secondary Air Injection?

If concerned about electrical short (a valid concern), wrap the metal probe in duct tape.

SWMBO - outright bribery may be the last resort. How much testing can be done on the way to Target? Antique store? Mall? Dinner? Movie? (Jurrasic Park in 3D IMAX is pretty cool)

Old 04-08-2013, 04:34 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The black plastic piece that surrounds the radio, vents, HVAC, was creaking on mine. It seemed to be rubbing on the top edge. When I installed an aftermarket radio I tightened all the screws (they had loosened) and I put a small foam strip under the top lip of that black piece. No more squeeks.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:01 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I have the same noise.
Only happens when it is hot out.
Never when cold.
my windshield has a crack in it.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:17 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Jfall--- I hear you, same here! Only when the sun has been hitting it and it's hot. Most annoying sound ever.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:53 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by spazmoid
The black plastic piece that surrounds the radio, vents, HVAC, was creaking on mine. It seemed to be rubbing on the top edge. When I installed an aftermarket radio I tightened all the screws (they had loosened) and I put a small foam strip under the top lip of that black piece. No more squeeks.
Member spazmoid helped me on this issue via email. The problem turned out to be the louvre assembly. See picture below

Creaking Dashboard Noise-photo-2.jpg

The black plastic louvre assembly was rubbing against the top and sides of the dashboard. I cut pieces of velcrow tape (the side with the soft foam) and stuck them to the edge of the louvre assembly where it comes in contact with the dashboard. Then tighten ALL the screws which mount the louvre assembly to the dashboard. No more creaking noise.

Removal instructions:
1. Remove radio - you will need special radio removal tool
2. Remove 6 switch cluster. There cluster has two plastic clips at the top and two at the bottom. I used two old credit cards, insert one credit card on top and one at the bottom to depress the plastic clips, when you feel them they will 'click' and pull out both cards and the cluster will come out.
3. Remove the climate control unit using two butter knives. Insert butter knives on left and right side to depress the metal clips. Like the cluster switch, you will hear and feel them click and then slowly pull the knives out and the climate control unit will come out.
4. Remove clock unit using same method as cluster switch.
5. Remove coin tray, cup holder and ashtray assembly - there are 6 screws.
6. There are 4 screws on the radio opening - two above and two below.
7. There is screw each behind the switch cluster and clock assembly.

It's a lot of work for, in my opinion, a silly project. FYI Rave Manual also has instructions - just do a find on "Louvre"

But if you're up to it, hope this writeup helps

Al
'03 D2 SE7

Old 04-13-2013, 12:04 AM
Mudding

Darn! It wasn't the louvre assembly! Before re-installing the louvre assembly I drove the car one last time and the creaking dashboard noise is still there!!!

The noise is coming from the dashboard area, around the center and closer to the passenger side. I had my mechanic ride with me and he couldn't locate the noise. Wants to remove the dashboard.

Remember, I have removed the center louvre assembly, glove compartment and center console. The radio and A/C climate control are also removed. I believe the noise is coming from the vehicle interior side of the engine firewall.

How do you remove the dashboard anyways? Is there a way for me to tighten crews and bolts that secure the dashboard without removing it?

Thanks

Old 04-13-2013, 05:52 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out this thread: https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...09/#post391820

I tightened up the fresh air intake and it seems to have at least temporarily stopped my noise.

Quick Reply: Creaking Dashboard Noise