Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control possibly related to ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 02:28 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cruise Control possibly related to ECU?

My cruise control has been out for a few months now, it hasnt been a problem but I'm about to go off to college and I think it would be nice to have cruise for the 3 hour trip there and back home. I have read a few posts on this, and I have checked all my hoses. I even had a LR indy. mechanic take a quick look at it today and he said all the hoses look to be in perfect condition. He mentioned that his 2000 DII had a similar issue and it ended up being a problem with the ECU... Could this be what's happening to mine?

Basically, it doesn't even pick up, some have mentioned that it fades from the set speed, but mine will not engage at all. If it is in fact an issue with the ECU, do I need to buy the entire ECU:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-...Q5fAccessories

or this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Disco...Q5fAccessories

I appreciate any input!

Old 08-11-2009, 03:00 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Stupid question but does your horn work?

Old 08-11-2009, 03:07 PM
TReK

Yes it does.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:21 PM
TReK

OK not your fuse then too bad mines blows once and a while. Give the section on cruise control in the Rave CD a read there is good info. I hate to recommend going to the dealer or a good indy shop but I believe they can diagnose your issue pretty easily by hooking it up to test book. Although a used ECU is at most $60 so you may just want to try swapping one out.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does your cruise control light on the switch come on when you press it? If not, it's likely just the cruise control ecu (your second pic)

When you engage your cruise control, can you hear a click near the floor on the passenger side? With the car off, and the key in the 2nd position (dash lights on) a click every time you press the cruise control button, but no light on the cruise control switch coming on, is a sign that the cruise control relay/ecu is shot...

Old 08-11-2009, 03:29 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Suede
Does your cruise control light on the switch come on when you press it? If not, it's likely just the cruise control ecu (your second pic)

When you engage your cruise control, can you hear a click near the floor on the passenger side? With the car off, and the key in the 2nd position (dash lights on) a click every time you press the cruise control button, but no light on the cruise control switch coming on, is a sign that the cruise control relay/ecu is shot...
The light on the switch does come on...
And im not hearing a click either.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:42 PM
TReK

Here are the cruise components, there are not many parts so you should be able to troubleshoot it. There are a few interesting details from the Rave CD though like the cruise control will not work if there is no speed data coming in from the SLABS ECU.

Attached Thumbnails Cruise Control possibly related to ECU?-picture-2.jpg   Cruise Control possibly related to ECU?-picture-3.jpg  
Old 08-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Sorry Cam, but man am I glad I own a DI.
Could be the SLABS, could be the cruise ecu, could be a vacuum leak...on a DI it is either a vacuum leak or the cruise ecu.

I have heard of the cruise ecu on a DI going bad and the cruise not working but this is the first that I have heard of it happening on a DII.
Remember that on a DII the SLABS controls almost everything.
But if a used cruise ecu is cheap enough then try it, if thats not it then you can always sell it.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Old 08-11-2009, 04:13 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

To answer your question Cam, of the 2 items you posted links to, you would need the second one. The other is an engine computer.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control possibly related to ECU?