Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 01:32 PM
TReK
Received 471 Likes on 388 Posts

While you are cutting back that hose you might test the integrity of the bellows.

Remove the hose, squeeze the bellows, place your finger over the nipple from which the hose was removed, release the bellows. If it 'loses air', it will not work no matter what you do.

Old 03-28-2024, 10:17 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

The hose is a leading cause of a failed cruise control system on the DII. I replaced the hose on my truck many, many years ago.

But then, a couple years ago I notice the cruise control was "weak". It didn't hold speed well going uphill, and if I hit the Resume button after braking it was very slow to return the truck to the selected speed. I replaced the hose again but that did nothing. I ended up buying a cruise control pump from a boneyard truck and that did the trick.

If shortening or replacing the hose doesn't correct the problem, testing the bellows as WaltNYC recommends is a great next diagnostic step.

If the hose and bellows are good, replacing the pump is the next step. New pumps are stupid expensive (~$250, part number SCC100030). I paid $35 at the boneyard.

Old 03-31-2024, 07:12 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ahab
I'm with Extinct. Cut this hose back to a fresh section and shove it back on there. Even if other parts are also bad, this will definitely prevent it from working so start here. My guess is this will fix it.

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
While you are cutting back that hose you might test the integrity of the bellows.

Remove the hose, squeeze the bellows, place your finger over the nipple from which the hose was removed, release the bellows. If it 'loses air', it will not work no matter what you do.
Ok, so I just had the time to check the car in the garage, the hose just came loose when I touched it, so I am focusing on changing the hose now. I tried to cut it down and re-insert it but it cracked again, I tried with hot water to smoothen the hose even but that also did not work.

Also as mentioned by WaltNYC, thank you, I tested the bellows, it works so thats some good news, I squeezed it and put my finger and it did hold the pressure or kept the squeezed form until I removed my finger.

Additionally I removed the glovebox to check the ecu but for now, after I have noticed the hose I put that aside. I noticed only 2 hanging cables behind the glovebox but thats another topic I may need to figure out

Last edited by keremctnr; 03-31-2024 at 07:20 AM.
Old 03-31-2024, 08:54 AM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

The same wiring harness was used for all different trim and accessory levels. Those stray wires may not be supposed to connect to anything on your particular vehicle.

Old 03-31-2024, 08:59 AM
Camel Trophy

In my 14+ years on this and other DII forums I don't recall ever hearing about the cruise control ECU being the problem. I'm sorry to see you spending time poking around there. Replace the hose and see what happens.

Always start with the most simple, least expensive remedy and work up the list from there.

The following 2 users liked this post by mln01:
mollusc (04-01-2024), WaltNYC (04-02-2024)
Old 03-31-2024, 10:44 AM
Overlanding

Thank you, yeah it was like I just wanted to see that as well I will check the hose tomorrow and try to get a new one and install lets see hopefully I will be back with good news

Also need to replace the glovebox light as well so it was a practice in a way

Old 03-31-2024, 01:31 PM
Camel Trophy

Okay. The hose is nothing special. I suggest removing it and taking it with you to any auto parts store. The replacement will cost no more than a buck or two.

Old 04-01-2024, 11:23 AM
Overlanding

Hello, ok so today I did change the hose, now the cruise seems to be holding but very weak, it is like losing it after a while and cannot hold it time to time. I could not test it fully, I may not be able to test it until the weekend after tomorrow morning but lets see there is still hope.

But if we assume that it cannot hold the speed what could be the next solution to try? Would it be the pump?

Old 04-01-2024, 01:21 PM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

1) Did you get vacuum hose? It needs to have strong enough walls so that they do not collapse. Fuel hose will not work.
2) Have you adjusted the tension on the cruise control cable where it goes to the throttle body?

Old 04-01-2024, 02:08 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by mollusc
1) Did you get vacuum hose? It needs to have strong enough walls so that they do not collapse. Fuel hose will not work.
2) Have you adjusted the tension on the cruise control cable where it goes to the throttle body?
Thank you for your replies, I will check the hose again but also will check the tension of the cable as I did not adjusted that before. I remember there was an instructions on how to set the tension.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control Problem