Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cup holders

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 10:34 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Cup holders

anybody have a simple fix for fixing the spring loaded cup holders in the dash. Mine won't stay closed and didn't know if it was something simple or if I needed to get a new one

Old 03-10-2017, 10:36 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
anybody have a simple fix for fixing the spring loaded cup holders in the dash. Mine won't stay closed and didn't know if it was something simple or if I needed to get a new one
Check out Joe! He's parting a Discovery

The following users liked this post:
Joe! (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 11:14 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
Joe is parting out a 2003...I believe...and it does not have the in-dash cup holder (I believe, because our 2003 doesn't).

Bought a cup holder unit from Paul Grant for my 2001...mine was totaled out, plastic was all broken-up/springs missing.

Brian.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:36 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Joe is parting out a 2003...I believe...and it does not have the in-dash cup holder (I believe, because our 2003 doesn't).

Bought a cup holder unit from Paul Grant for my 2001...mine was totaled out, plastic was all broken-up/springs missing.

Brian.
Got it! I see, thats the one in the middle below the radio, I guess.

Old 03-10-2017, 03:01 PM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
I swear somebody did a write-up on fixing it, if it's fixable.

Old 03-10-2017, 03:05 PM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

More often than not, the small plastic clips that secure the springs in place, either for the cup holders or for the ash tray or coin tray break. At that point, it's really difficult to repair. It may be just a matter of the spring coming undone. Remove the coin tray and ash tray. You will see three phillips head screws securing the retractable cup holder assembly in place. With all six screws out you can remove the cup holders and really get a look at what the problem is.

Old 03-10-2017, 03:22 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
More often than not, the small plastic clips that secure the springs in place, either for the cup holders or for the ash tray or coin tray break. At that point, it's really difficult to repair. It may be just a matter of the spring coming undone. Remove the coin tray and ash tray. You will see three phillips head screws securing the retractable cup holder assembly in place. With all six screws out you can remove the cup holders and really get a look at what the problem is.
ill check that out first thing in the morning. Thanks Paul. The plastic is fine and I want to add the additional cup holders on the center console to hold a bigger cup but the on below the hvac controls hold my spit bottles so well

Old 03-10-2017, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,662 Posts

The coin/ash tray repairs are super simple using a zip tie to secure the springs vs the broken plastic tab. Center pop out cup holder is a little more complicated. The spring is used to pop it open, but for it to lock into place two small little gears on either side of the assembly must have all their little teeth. If they're missing it won't stay in place and it will pop out. I've been able to tear into them at junk yards and get one good gear at a time to fix em. You can get blank plates for that thing and get the manly set of 32oz gatorade spit cup holding center console cup holders (with the insert removed it'll hold em no problem) and call it a day or get another used one or find the little gears.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
Thanks! I have a set of cup holders that mount on the console in black or gray. All clips good!

Old 03-10-2017, 09:45 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Joe!
Thanks! I have a set of cup holders that mount on the console in black or gray. All clips good!
my center console is bahama beige

Quick Reply: Cup holders