Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Curious three amigos issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick Duffy
That is my point the TC fires up if I touch the accelerator on a left turn and the light flashes on. Also if I go over a bump in the road. Then it goes off - it could be dangerous if that happens on the highway at 70MPH. I have pulled the ABS fuse temporarily which means the lights are back on and it drives fine - I only fitted the overlay harness to get rid of the damn lights. Seems I have paid for an expensive length of cable and fitting for no benefit.

Could it be a faulty left front speed sensor? No fault codes yet at all.
That means the TC is functioning as it should, why would you not want TC?

Per RAVE:
ETC
The ETC function uses brake intervention to prevent wheel spin and maintain even torque distribution to the wheels.
ETC is automatically enabled while the brakes are off at speeds up to 62.5 mph (100 km/h), and operates the brakes
either individually or in axle pairs:

-At speeds up to 31.3 mph (50 km/h), ETC uses individual brake intervention to maintain even torque distribution

between wheels on the same axle.

-Vehicles up to 03 model year At speeds between 0 and 62.5 mph (0 and 100 km/h), ETC also uses brake

intervention in axle pairs to maintain even torque distribution between the front and rear axles. In effect, this mode

of operation replaces the centre differential lock of the transfer box which, although still incorporated, is non
operational under normal driving conditions.

During active braking the SLABS ECU also illuminates the
ETC warning lamp, for a minimum of 2 seconds or for the duration that ETC is active. ETC operation is desensitised
during 'hard' cornering.

Last edited by MuleyJ; 11-04-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:08 AM
Three Wheeling
Default That cannot be right

Originally Posted by MuleyJ
That means the TC is functioning as it should, why would you not want TC?

Per RAVE:
So when I slowly navigate a left hand corner on dry road the brakes are supposed to take over? No this definitely a problem. It does not do it the same on right hand corners. And going over a small bump I get this rettling ABS sound and the traction light flashing? Frightened the heck out of my wife. It could cause loss of control at 70 on the highway. I understand that there was a recall on MY2000 ABS units so I will call the LR Dealer and see if mine missed it.

Personally having driven extensivley off road in the RMs and in divvy competitions in the 1980's (I have trophies) I have never needed TC or ABS I do not see how it delivers any benefit over knowing how to drive -in most vehicles you can turn it off.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:04 AM
Drifting

So when I slowly navigate a left hand corner on dry road the brakes are supposed to take over? No this definitely a problem. It does not do it the same on right hand corners. And going over a small bump I get this rettling ABS sound and the traction light flashing? Frightened the heck out of my wife. It could cause loss of control at 70 on the highway. I understand that there was a recall on MY2000 ABS units so I will call the LR Dealer and see if mine missed it.

Personally having driven extensivley off road in the RMs and in divvy competitions in the 1980's (I have trophies) I have never needed TC or ABS I do not see how it delivers any benefit over knowing how to drive -in most vehicles you can turn it off.
Illumination of the TC lamp and the clicking modulator are the system norm, although maybe not in those sircumstances so maybe there is something wrong. Mine activates infrequently in both of those situation, although most of the time there is some loose surface involved in the instances it activates when accelerating through corners. I see a lot of benefit to brake lock differentials for off road driving when they are fuctioning properly, but I don't have any trophies. Good luck.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Drifting

I recieved my Autel MD802 diagnostic tool today and I am happy to report that it works well. The codes I have are the shuttle valve electrical failure, and RR wheel speed sensor signal eratic and RR WSS electrical failure. I rewired the shuttle valves using option B from the sticky and pulled the wheel speed sensor and cleaned and reseated it and tested for resistence again. Took it for a test drive and engaged TC ABS and HDC and so far so good. We will see. Thank you guys very much for the help!

Old 11-07-2012, 05:33 AM
7th Gear
Default 1 Wheel Drive

Disco Mike,

In a previous post you mentioned that with the 3 amigos on all the time which I have had for about a year now, the only wheel driving is the Left Rear. Is this correct and why? Why/how does the vehicle go from AWD to single wheel drive because of a brake fault?

Thanks for all your help on this forum.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:25 AM
Three Wheeling
Default 1 wheel drive

Originally Posted by samuelbmay
Disco Mike,

In a previous post you mentioned that with the 3 amigos on all the time which I have had for about a year now, the only wheel driving is the Left Rear. Is this correct and why? Why/how does the vehicle go from AWD to single wheel drive because of a brake fault?

Thanks for all your help on this forum.
The differentials are all "open" which means that power is distributed to the point of least resistance. Older Landrovers had a lever or a button that you pushed down and that locked the front and rear axles by way of the center diff, but not the wheels at each end. So in deep mud you now had one front and one rear wheel driving - 100% better. The coil springs allowed extreme axle articulation and at the time Landrover said that with this "Range Rovers do not need locking diffs". At that time you could hose out a Range Rover! They were designed to spend most of their time off road. Now most Range Rover owners (and Disco) go no further off road than the grass parking lot at the Horse trials. Now the last thing you want to put in deep water and mud is an electronic device. Not sure when they started fitting all these gizmos but the result is all these threads with people having trouble with TC/ABS/DC plus they have lost a deal of the original axle articulation - none of which are actually required to drive off road and actually get in the way - better to go on a course and learn how to drive off road - it costs less and is more fun!

Now it would have been an alternative to fit mechanical limited slip axle diffs or even air lockers but their target audience for new sales are not off road enthusiasts but people who are buying the image. Us used purchasers are the ones who inherit all these unnecessary complicated systems. I am sure there must be a market for a Bare Bones Disco or Landrover at under $30k? Back to the actual concept and not a 4WD pimp mobile.

Last edited by Patrick Duffy; 11-08-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Three Wheeling

Mike I spoke with Dennis at Linden - he said he had seen similar TC issues before - he said to check out the front dive shafts, CV joints etc. Problems on one of those would be a cause of the TC misreading what the wheel is doing.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:57 PM
Three Wheeling
Default TC misbehaving further info

Mike I spoke with Dennis at Linden - he said he had seen similar TC issues before - he said to check out the front dive shafts, CV joints etc. Problems on one of those would be a cause of the TC misreading what the wheel is doing.
I jacked up the front of the disco and the hubs have no slack in them nor does the steering. The rubber boots look newish and no evidence of grease or oil leaking. CVs seem good. However the left front inside of the tire was showing wear so I got the alignment done (it was out) and the brakes bled plus the wheels rotated.

Still got the same problem but not as bad.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:57 AM
7th Gear

so I'm replying to myself, but whatever. In response to my question of whether the 2004 Discovery II SE7 defaults to 1 wheel drive (Left Rear wheel) when you get the "3 Amigos", that seems to be false. According to the dealer's lead tech when you lose the ABS you lose the traction control that applies breaking to the wheel that is spinning, and HDC et al, but the truck is full time all wheel drive, even without the ABS. Ours has the locking diff allowing us to go from high FWD to Low FWD but we're allways in FWD unless we unlock the diff and leave it in neutral.

I'll put the thing on jacks this weekend and hit the gas, if I see all four wheels spin then that's that.

So I'm back to wondering why anyone cares if the ABS system goes out. One less system to worry about, just like the secondary air injection system.