Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CV Joints?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 05:38 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default CV Joints?

Got a clicking sound from my front left axle when I make a left or right turn. I'm guessing the CV joint is going bad. I see AB has the replacement kit for $199.95. After reading thru the Rave manual, I'm wondering if I need all those "special tools" they list or can I make do with regular shop tools? I don't want to have everything torn apart only to find out I have to get seals pressed on/off with something I don't have.

Eric

Old 11-22-2009, 01:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your front u-joints. I thought my CVs were bad, but it turned out the front driveshaft was ready to explode. It is hard to tell where the sound is coming from when your driving.

Willie

Old 11-22-2009, 07:08 PM
2nd Gear

I make a left or right turn. I'm guessing the CV joint is going bad. I see AB has the replacement kit for $199.95.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:17 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by sophianing
I make a left or right turn. I'm guessing the CV joint is going bad. I see AB has the replacement kit for $199.95.
that noise COULD be coming from a couple of different sources, but in my case it was the cv joint. I installed a new one from A/B , no wild tools needed......but you will need a socket big enough to get the hub nut off( they sell that too). AND.....for what it's worth, when I got mine apart....the reason it was "clicking" was that it was bone dry !!!, make sure you get the new grease packet to install and while your'e at it get one for the otherside. good luck.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:57 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by XCELLER8
that noise COULD be coming from a couple of different sources, but in my case it was the cv joint. I installed a new one from A/B , no wild tools needed......but you will need a socket big enough to get the hub nut off( they sell that too). AND.....for what it's worth, when I got mine apart....the reason it was "clicking" was that it was bone dry !!!, make sure you get the new grease packet to install and while your'e at it get one for the otherside. good luck.

Good idea!! Never thought to check the grease. I'll open the drain plug this weekend and see if anything comes out. Guess I'll go down to the dealer and get the grease. If it is dry, then I got to find out why. Thanks for pointing that out.

Eric

Old 12-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Winching

XCELLER8,u were right. Both sides were empty. Bought two packets at the dealer and put them in. Had a hell of a time getting the fill plug off. Had to use a 4 foot breaker bar. While I was at the dealer, I asked them how much to replace the left CV and he said it would be about $800. ($500 for labor) Ouch!!

Eric

Old 12-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

doin' it yourself & saving money ...........good
paying through the wazoo...................bad

you must be strong.....I think they used an 8' breaker bar to install mine

Old 12-05-2009, 06:30 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Depending on the fluid that was used, when your Swivels were last serviced, pulling the drain plug will tell you nothing. When your Rover was built, Rover said to use gear oil, but later changed their minds and developed a special grease to use instead of gear oil, so it won't poor out.
If you haven't been into your swivels and service, greased and set the preload along with repacking the bearing, you have a job in front of you.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:00 PM
Winching

Nothing has ever been done to my Disco. All maintenance was ignored by previous owners. That's why I got it for cheap! I know I have my work cut out for me. My main concern is, do I really need those "special tools" listed in Rave or are there similar tools I can use? AB has the rebuild kit so I'll save about $500 doing it myself. That will more than pay for any tools I might have to buy.

Eric

Old 12-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Three Wheeling

I'm about to do this job. Where do source 52 mm socket?

Quick Reply: CV Joints?