Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder 8 clanking, increased emissions. Replace engine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 11:09 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder 8 clanking, increased emissions. Replace engine?

Hey all-

In September of last year I was getting a cylinder 8 misfire code. I replaced all plugs and wires, but was still getting code. I took it to local International Auto Shop who has always worked on my vehicles. They found a broken exhaust valve. So, I had intake and both cylinder heads inspected for further damage, replaced headgaskets, head studs and broken valve. To the tune of $3433.

December 2020 I started noticing a clanking nose that worsened as engine temperature rose. Also, a lot more exhaust was coming out of tailpipe. White exhaust, so I assumed there was a coolant leak somewhere. This is the current diagnosis from the same shop:

"Found cylinder 8 sleeve slightly more lifted from block and the other cylinder sleeves. Also found cylinder sleeve slightly deformed. Suspect cylinder sleeve is intermittently dislodging from engine block and impacting cylinder head. Recommend replacing long block to correct issue."

They say they have never seen this issue, and have had my car for almost 1 month trying to figure out what was wrong. They are recommending an entire engine replacement.

Any thoughts?

Old 04-12-2021, 12:23 PM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

The slipped sleeve issue is not unknown, particularly with 2003 and 2004 trucks. There are a lot of threads on this forum discussing it, but I haven't ever seen any of them referring to a deformed sleeve.
People have had success with pinning the liners to stop them from moving, but if the liner is damaged, that may not be worthwhile.

Old 04-13-2021, 05:18 PM
Winching
Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm working on the head gaskets of my 04 D2 right now. I almost missed it but the sleeve of my #2 cylinder is pushed slightly of the block:

I laid a feeler gauge on the block and the push out is .83mm.
I had a long discussion with the guy who machined my heads. He builds competition racing engines so he knows his stuff. I am going to try an press the sleeve back into the block via shrinking the sleeve via loading the cylinder with dry ice and using a steel plate and the old head bolts to push the sleeve down. I'm trying to get it down and get the car back on the road as a local driver. This idea has been confirmed by two other seasoned mechanics with years of experience on high end autos.
It will be interesting as the blown head gasket was on the other side, between #5&#7.

Old 04-13-2021, 05:49 PM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

I remember reading a thread where someone argued that using all-metal head gaskets from Cometic would prevent the sleeves from sliding upwards. Nothing about them sliding downwards though.

Old 04-13-2021, 06:11 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

@mollusc they can not go down, at least in later blocks, 4.0/4.6, there is a lip that prevents it.

Old 04-13-2021, 06:23 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mechanic doesn’t feel comfortable fixing it with the “tricks” I have presented to him. If I was to replace the engine, can I get away from Bosch? I’ve seen some guys putting GM engines in. Any experience with this?

Old 04-13-2021, 06:27 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

Putting a GM engine is a whole other set of tricks your mechanic would not like... Plus the approx $15k cost should quell those thoughts.

I would seek out a few more opinions if you live in an area with some LR specific shops that would be the place to start.

Old 04-13-2021, 06:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 595 Likes on 338 Posts

Where are you located? You might be better off just getting a running rover and moving your good parts to it. Tons here in Florida.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ry&exact=false

Old 04-15-2021, 02:34 PM
Winching
Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

I spoke to Cometic and the Rover gaskets they have will not deal with my issue. I will be posting pics of the sleeve push down. I also confirmed today that 04 rovers have a lip in the block below the sleeve to keep them from sliding down. The purpose of the lip was actually for the sleeves to lock into, thus keeping the sleeve from sliding but Rover never did it. I am also going to be adding an oil ring on top of the gasket to keep the sleeve slapping down.

Old 04-15-2021, 03:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 818 Likes on 537 Posts

I'd strongly recommend pinning the liners once you get that pressed down. I would have gone cometic on my white d2 when I did that job last month but they are backordered for quite some time and I didn't have time to wait.

Quick Reply: Cylinder 8 clanking, increased emissions. Replace engine?