Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder Sleeve? NEED ADVISE

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 05:49 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder Sleeve? NEED ADVISE

I have a 2003 LR disco hse7.I am the original owner.I live in chicago where the weather tends to be cold especially in the winter months.Ihave maintained the truck as best as possible. It has always been serviced on time and oil changes have been completed regularly. This past week the odometer just spun 87,000 miles. I was driving home the other day when out of no where, the service engine light started to blink. Shortly thereafter, the entire car started to shake and eventually die. Without further hesitation I immediately towed it to the nearest shop where they advised me to replace the motor due to DROPPED CYLINDER SLEEVES. Does this sound right. the truck did not overheat before this happened nor has it ever been offroad nor used to tow with. I dont understand how this could happen. PLease advise me if you have any ideas or suggestions. I truely appreciate any giudence.
Respectfully,
Joe

Old 12-28-2007, 06:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Cylinder Sleeve? NEED ADVISE

What were the codes? If the CEL is flashing, it means there is a serious problem. Sounds to me like you overheated it and continued to drive, blowing the motor. You should never drive with that light flashing....

Sounds right to me...Might find a good used motor at a salvage if you don't have an extended warranty...

Old 12-28-2007, 06:24 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

It could be that your temp gauge wasnt working right. But the only way to drop a sleeve it to overheat the engine.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:11 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Joe, you need to find out specifiaclly what the shop saw, was the truck over heating, what codes exactly and then get back to us.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Joe,

Just to fill in some details for you, the Rover V8 engine in your Discovery has a cast aluminum block, as many cars do. The cylinders have cast iron or steel liners in them to provide better wear properties and thus longer life. When the engine gets hot, as it does when overheated or when lubrication is lost,the aluminumblockexpands faster than the iron cylinder liners, and the liners can drop into the crankcase.

IF that is indeed what happened in your case, which is possible given your description of the problem you experienced,the only remedy is a replacement engine. However, as Mike and okdiscoguy said, you will need to provide more details for anyone to provide an accurate second opinion.

It's possible that the problem was caused by either a loss of coolant and rapid overheating, OR a loss of oil pressurefor lubrication. Several '03 Discoverys were shipped with defective engine castings which would eventually cause the oil pump to fail. In either case the prognosis would not be good, but the additional details should help the folks here to confirm it or suggest other possibilities.

Dave

Old 01-15-2008, 05:12 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks to all that replied. Yes, the check engine light is flashing. However, the truck has never overheated. When scanned, the dealer is telling me that there are many codes coming up. If anyone has seen/heard of this please lend your support. I am at a deadend with this truck! It is at Knauz autoparkwhere I purchased it new being overlooked. This is the second dealer it has been to. Please advise on whatI should do next. Thank you for all your feedback and support. Joe.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:45 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

There are no codes to indicate you have a sleeve failure.
Call me, I think we need to talk.
303-862-7680 Colorado before 8 pm my time.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:56 PM
Three Wheeling

You should probably get the actual code numbers so these guys can tell you exactly whats wrong. The truck could have overheated without you knowing it. Sorry to hear about the situation. RM