Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D II "Not roadworthy"

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 09:01 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D II "Not roadworthy"

For the past month or so, have been looking for a 2004 Discovery. No success, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Was looking at two this week. Different dealerships, different cars. After initial inquiry, each of the dealers-and these were dealerships-responded that they had determined that the vehicle was not roadworthy, they would not sell it, and it would be going to auction. Both of these vehicles were on their sites as well as other sites (Autotrader, etc.). One dealer had even installed a theft prevention device, per the Carfax. I won't pretend to know how the used car business really operates, but does this seem really strange to anyone else? Just curious.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:09 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if i had i used car lot i would send every rover to the auction too.

These guy have traded or know dealers that traded rovers and got stuck for huge repair bills, like engines, trannys, head gaskets and because of the prices at dealerships a lot were not maintained the best.

The auction is you buy it you own it, no come backs, take the short money and let someone else take the chance.
I know dealers that were automatically running 03/04 thru the auction years ago, it not worth the chance to them.

Last edited by drowssap; 08-14-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

When I was looking for my D2 I saw a few at small dealers. The sort that end up on autotrader with lots of photos. You know, when they photo the inside of every door.

Not a single one gave me any confidence of quality. They had either come from an auction or had been trade ins. All had issues the dealer knew little about. As I learned more I was able to point out stuff they just didn't want to hear.

If you are looking at D2s through these small dealers, don't believe a word they say. "That tick is an oil lifter, we'll fix that before you take it away." Heard that twice!

You are better off looking on CL, getting to know what you are looking at, or taking someone that does. Stick around here, looking in the for sale section.

The following users liked this post:
Jag100 (08-14-2015)
Old 08-14-2015, 12:46 PM
Overlanding

I have 10 pages of notes from this website. Invaluable. I'm also pretty much resigned to the fact that I am not buying one until someone who has a working knowledge of these looks at it. Thanks.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:18 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Biggest thing I'd be looking for if I had it all to do over again: one owner. I'm fourth on mine and I constantly find evidence of strange tinkering.
All maintenance records would be high on the list too.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:40 PM
Overlanding
Default Amen

Originally Posted by Fallstaff
Biggest thing I'd be looking for if I had it all to do over again: one owner. I'm fourth on mine and I constantly find evidence of strange tinkering.
All maintenance records would be high on the list too.

I'm with you. I'd even go a little higher mileage for one-owner.

Thanks.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:53 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by cappedup
When I was looking for my D2 I saw a few at small dealers. The sort that end up on autotrader with lots of photos. You know, when they photo the inside of every door.

Not a single one gave me any confidence of quality. They had either come from an auction or had been trade ins. All had issues the dealer knew little about. As I learned more I was able to point out stuff they just didn't want to hear.

If you are looking at D2s through these small dealers, don't believe a word they say. "That tick is an oil lifter, we'll fix that before you take it away." Heard that twice!

You are better off looking on CL, getting to know what you are looking at, or taking someone that does. Stick around here, looking in the for sale section.
X1 + preferably one owner and history with the truck. Generally used car dealers are from the same mould and school as politicians, do you trust them also ......... I wouldn't