Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D1 & D2 vs LR3 & LR4

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 06:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default D1 & D2 vs LR3 & LR4

Hey guys I just wanted to start up a discussion on which series of vehicles you think is best and what you would rather have.

For me growing up, the Discovery II was my dream car, stylish, capable and tough. I was a little young at the time to know the difference between the D1 and D2 but I have a great admiration for the Discovery 1 for its ruggedness and simplicity. I'm often jealous of you D1 guys who don't have to deal with the same BS that us D2 guys deal with(much less the 4.6 HG's). But at least my radiator doesn't cost $400

However now that I'm a little older I really really enjoy the life and ownership of having a Discovery. Working on the thing myself and learning how the truck works is all about Land Rover ownership in my opinion. I feel like with perseverance I can fix just about anything on my D2 within reason. However now days with the sophisticated LR3 and LR4 I don't think the same type of ownership can really happen, at least not for a long time or unless you are wealthy.

How does the D1 and D2 compare vs the LR3 and LR4? Do they both offer the same offroad capability, just that the LR3 and 4 have more technology to ... do the work for you?

Don't get me wrong though the LR3 is growing on me and I have looked at an LR4 in person and that car is so nice. It's an absolutely stunning vehicle. However despite all that, I would still take my 03 Discovery over an LR3 or LR4.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by DiscoRover007; 08-27-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 63 Posts

I don't care for the LR3 or LR4. They're both too big and floaty. Also too "fancy". I really like the compact size of the Disco II. I went to the dealership last year to buy a LR4, and disliked it so much that I returned it 5 minutes into the test drive. My wife hates that the tire on the LR3/4 is on the bottom of the car - feels it should be hanging on the outside door.

I could be wrong, but I believe the Discovery II is the last of the "do-it-yourselfer" Discoveries. I don't know if there's a RAVE CD out for the LR series?

RedAustinIX

Old 08-27-2012, 07:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

D1 drives like a truck, D2 drives like a car but is a capable truck, lr3 drives like a station wagon, looks like a station wagon, and is a station wagon. lr4 is just a continuation in the fad of "ridiculously complicated because its cool" station wagon

Old 08-27-2012, 07:37 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I always loved those "square trucks with the tire on the hood" that were driving across Africa chasing lions and elephants.
I still love them and I still want one.
Love my DI, dislike the DII, the LR3 has kinda grown on me, the LR4 not so much, love the "new" Range Rover.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:32 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I have never driven an LR3 or an LR4.
The D1 is very floaty and bouncy and feels a lot smaller.
But, NORMAL feeling to me. D1 - quieter - no ambient noise from engine or transmission.

The D2 has surer steering. And, feels like a turtle with wheels.
Very low to the ground, very squat, very stable. No body roll at all.
D2 - better heating. Better mpg - gains 2.4 MPG on trips up to 17.4.
D2 - shifts better with transmission computer as the D1 relies on a completely
valve body vs RPM mechanical Zf 4HP22.
Steering very tight.

Head gaskets - easier to replace on a D2.
Getting the heater hoses off of the D1 - are a total nightmare to get the valve cover off.

I hear that the LR3 and LR4 have better engines - no sleeves to drop.
Do the LR3 and LR4 eat head gaskets? Time will tell.

Best things about the D1 and D2 are that the head gaskets will fail and the value of the truck falls to almost $0.

Then you can get one for almost nothing and fix it.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:05 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jfall
I have never driven an LR3 or an LR4.
The D1 is very floaty and bouncy and feels a lot smaller.
But, NORMAL feeling to me. D1 - quieter - no ambient noise from engine or transmission.

The D2 has surer steering. And, feels like a turtle with wheels.
Very low to the ground, very squat, very stable. No body roll at all.
D2 - better heating. Better mpg - gains 2.4 MPG on trips up to 17.4.
D2 - shifts better with transmission computer as the D1 relies on a completely
valve body vs RPM mechanical Zf 4HP22.
Steering very tight.

Head gaskets - easier to replace on a D2.
Getting the heater hoses off of the D1 - are a total nightmare to get the valve cover off.

I hear that the LR3 and LR4 have better engines - no sleeves to drop.
Do the LR3 and LR4 eat head gaskets? Time will tell.

Best things about the D1 and D2 are that the head gaskets will fail and the value of the truck falls to almost $0.

Then you can get one for almost nothing and fix it.
I agree with what your saying here:
ESPECIALLY THE HEATER HOSES ON DI'S! (Try doing that in -10 below in January... Not fun)
As for the DII feeling like a turtle with wheels, and sitting low to the ground:
I put a 2 inch lift on it and it feels just like the DI now.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:17 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Having owned a LR3 and now own a dii...... Also owning ap38 and di

The new land rovers are much more reliable, engine and electronics, minus the mandatory air suspension. I sold my lr3 because I was tired of paying a note AND bad gas mileage. And never having anything to work on. That said my next vehicle will be an 06 range rover sport.

You cannot regear the LR3s. And there are less mods that to me I'm fine with. Land rovers were NEVER meant to be extreme offroad rock crawling mud bogging machines.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:25 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

My dream car is the 2004 Discovery II. It blends classic styling with modern sophistication perfectly. Any person with a Rave can take out the tools and perform DIY maintenance. Renown capability and it looks amazing! The DI was alright but its to old school for me, but I maintain respect for it! The D3 and D4 are ugly as hell on the outside but I am impressed by the new road response system and dual chassis. The technology applied to the new Disco's is appealing but its also a dual bladed knife.... I cannot imagine many of us having either the tools or the skills to perform basic maintenance, say nothing about the more complicated repairs. The new Disco's capabilities off road is ...... questionable and I'd love to see just how well the new range rovers and discos perform on the legendary camel trophy events! Part of me feels that they are simply to dependent on computers to be able to perform in the deep jungles...... and I don't like how the seating is sunk in whereas the DI and DII models maintained the high command position seating. I use to work at a fancy hotel as a valae and on occasion I had the opportunity to park the new Range Rover....l loved the sound and feel but still I prefer the 2004 Discovery.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:42 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had a series 1 Range Rover (1993), a DII(2000, still own), a 2004 DII( blown engine at 18,000 miles.. sold back to dealer)...and a 2010 Range Rover. I can say that the newer Landies are BULLET Proof... and very capable off road.. I love my DII, but it has soo many maintenance needs, that my Rangie doesn't have.My 2010 range rover has had 45,000 RELIABLE miles.... I LOVE the newer Landies... and look forward to getting the new defender when it is available..... That being said, i'm NEVER getting rid of my DII.... just sayin....

Old 08-28-2012, 07:16 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

as much as I like old stuff I saw a LR4 on top gear, that thing could do just anything right out of the box.

Quick Reply: D1 & D2 vs LR3 & LR4