Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D11 sport, manual mode flashing won't start

Old 08-31-2009, 05:48 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D11 sport, manual mode flashing won't start

I have a 99 Disco 11, I went to start it and nothing happened didn't try to turn over or anything, and the sport and manual mode were flashing and a slash thriough the D in the odomnitor display. Took the key out and tried again same thing happened. Took the key out and tried agoing and this time it fired right up. Then I put front windows down, pushed the buttons and they started going down automatically, I pushed up on the buttons to stop them half way and it didn't stop them they just went down. I tried to put them up and nothing happened.
I turned the truck off thinkning maybe just a malfunction. When I went to turn if back on it would start doing like before flashing. Tried several times to start and nothing and windows still wont go up. I unhooked the battery and that didnt help.
ANY suggestions on what is the problem or atleast how to get the windows up?

Old 08-31-2009, 06:22 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Your battery is very low on charge, that is what the 2 lights mean. Though I'm not sure what the / throught D means maybe limp home mode? Not sure why your windows won't up though. Try charging your battery up and testing your battery and alternator

Last edited by lipadj46; 08-31-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Although the battery is the common cause, it would not normally affect the window operation, so it "could" be the CAN bus is playing up.....the serial connection between the Autobox ECU and the BCU (body control unit)...This is another common cause for the M&S lights.

It may even be the XYZ position switch on the autobox as well, but as with the battery it should not affect the windows at all.

If you know the battery is good, disconnect it for a while, then re-connect and see what happens. (make sure you know the Radio code).

Old 09-23-2009, 06:13 PM
8th Gear

The battery did test bad under warranty but the new battery still did not fix problem. Any more suggestions?

Old 09-23-2009, 06:21 PM
Team Owner
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Urban Panzer
Although the battery is the common cause, it would not normally affect the window operation, so it "could" be the CAN bus is playing up.....the serial connection between the Autobox ECU and the BCU (body control unit)...This is another common cause for the M&S lights.

It may even be the XYZ position switch on the autobox as well, but as with the battery it should not affect the windows at all.

If you know the battery is good, disconnect it for a while, then re-connect and see what happens. (make sure you know the Radio code).

Old 09-24-2009, 05:27 PM
8th Gear

So is there any way for me to check that or does Land Rover need to do that? I'm not sure what the can bus is, I have the Service manual on cd.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:06 PM
Team Owner
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

I have no idea, this is one of the many reasons I own a DI and not a DII...I am not good at trouble shooting electrical/computer problems.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:15 AM
Rock Crawling

I think where UrbanPanzer is going is the wiring from the ecu to the bcu. It might be a loose or fouled connection. I would try checking those plugs for moisture or grime. First thought is a bad ground or corrosion in one of the battery leads. I would start off with the cheapest and clean the ground wires.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:07 PM
8th Gear

Got new battery does the same thing.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:16 PM
8th Gear

So how would I go about checking the wiring or plugs? Not sure where they are at and how would I know if they are bad?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: D11 sport, manual mode flashing won't start