Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 4.6 removal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 11:43 PM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
The flexplate is thicker and much more resilient than the stock plate which is prone to donut-ing itself. Don't have a link on hand, but I'll see if I can find one.

Definitely do a bigger cam. I've got the Kent H180 and love it. Several people do the Crower came with equally good results.

Also, if time isn't a huge deal, definitely do a port and polish on the heads. It makes quite the difference.
What do you think of the cam?
I read a Crower gives 22-26 hp, and as much torque.
Seems like alot, especially for a non performance engine. But, maybe there's just alot left on the table.
Crower I saw was $285
vs $80 for new stock at Lucky8
I'm all for performance, but it's going to have to be really noticeable, or give another mpg fo me to spend that now.
Trying to fix alot of things asap, and $200 buys alot.
As for port and polish, I'de love to, but don't have the time.

Old 12-25-2017, 11:45 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Alex_M
http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/p38-v8-heavy-duty-flexplate.html

There's the flexplate link.
Link doesn't work.
I think I'll save the cash and go stock for now though.

Old 12-25-2017, 11:50 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by OverRover
If you ever need to buy a 200+ lbs torque wrench, and you don't want to spend a ton of money try a TEKTON 24340. I'm NOT one to use cheap tools and have may torque wrenches (no joke, just name a brand). This Tekton was given to me and before I used it I had it calibrated. It was right on.

I'm not comparing it to a Snap-on, but I would not hesitate to recommend it or use. I let it get knocked around this summer by a few people and had it calibrated again. It was out by 1.8%, and that was shocking for knowing how it was used (I really expected to be getting back a breakerbar and not a torque wrench). If I didn't buy it, I would now. Just my 2 cents.
> https://www.tekton.com/1-2-inch-driv...e-wrench-24340
Wow
I want one, so I don't have to borrow one.
I just use 150' lb+ so little, that I didn't want to spend the money. But $59, and it's quality.
I think I'll try one, thanks for the link!

Old 12-26-2017, 03:51 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Charlie, although access is easier to the bell housing bolts with the cylinder heads removed you may wish to consider having the engine on a dyno prior to installation for a couple of reasons, one being to check everything is ok being the primary reason. Don't forget to use assembly lube (it's better than ordinary oil) when re-assembling all the bearings, pistons, camshaft etc.

The other opportunity is to fit a new flex plate but use an HD type as the original is prone to failure after many years of service.

Ashcroft Transmissions

Old 12-28-2017, 04:59 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
What do you think of the cam?
I read a Crower gives 22-26 hp, and as much torque.
Seems like alot, especially for a non performance engine. But, maybe there's just alot left on the table.
Crower I saw was $285
vs $80 for new stock at Lucky8
I'm all for performance, but it's going to have to be really noticeable, or give another mpg fo me to spend that now.
Trying to fix alot of things asap, and $200 buys alot.
As for port and polish, I'de love to, but don't have the time.
Does anyone have a non stock cam in a 4.6?
Any info on real world performance?

Old 12-28-2017, 05:22 PM
TReK

I plan on ordering parts tomorrow, and I'm undecided whether or not a Crower cam is worth the cost of 3 stock ones.
Any advice is appreciated.

Also, when I remove the torque converter, can I replace the front seal then? Or, does the transmission need disassembled?
Had planned on a front and rear trans seal.
Thanks

Old 12-28-2017, 06:39 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
I plan on ordering parts tomorrow, and I'm undecided whether or not a Crower cam is worth the cost of 3 stock ones.
Any advice is appreciated.

Also, when I remove the torque converter, can I replace the front seal then? Or, does the transmission need disassembled?
Had planned on a front and rear trans seal.
Thanks
Yes, you can replace the front seal once the torque converter is out. Just pay attention to how close the converter is to the bell housing, normally, you can barely get your fingers in between the two. So, after you change the seal...make sure you get the converter all the way back on. It will slid onto probably two or three sets of splines that drive different components. If you don't get it slid on all the way...you will ruin the trans bolting it to the engine.

You have to remove the transfer case to replace rear trans seal.

Brian.

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (12-28-2017)
Old 12-28-2017, 06:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

I've heard lots of good things about the Crower cams. I've got a Kent H180 cam and I love it. I can't say definitively how much difference it made because I did a port and polish at the same time, but I can say that the two together were quite significant.

Even without the port job I'd still say yes on the cam.

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (12-28-2017)
Old 12-28-2017, 06:48 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Yes, you can replace the front seal once the torque converter is out. Just pay attention to how close the converter is to the bell housing, normally, you can barely get your fingers in between the two. So, after you change the seal...make sure you get the converter all the way back on. It will slid onto probably two or three sets of splines that drive different components. If you don't get it slid on all the way...you will ruin the trans bolting it to the engine.

You have to remove the transfer case to replace rear trans seal.

Brian.
Thank you sir!
And yeah, I'm removing the transfer case anyway. It's leaking, and I have a seal kit for it.
My to-do list on this thing is long.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:49 PM
TReK

Anybody have a Crower cam?
Thoughts?

Quick Reply: D2 4.6 removal?