Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 Cruise control not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 04:20 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D2 Cruise control not working

My cruise control is not working. I have started to troubleshoot it a little bit but wanted to see if anyone else had any good feedback. Using my island these are the codes that I called from the cruise control.

the light switch on the dash does power on FYI

Old 05-03-2021, 05:02 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 387 Likes on 293 Posts

First step would be to check for vacuum leaks around the actuator. As a side note, you didn't just change your radio, did you?

Old 05-03-2021, 05:06 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ahab
First step would be to check for vacuum leaks around the actuator. As a side note, you didn't just change your radio, did you?
I did run a vacuum leak for the engine through the PCV valve, would this also accomplish the cruise control vacuum leak? I’ve also some more research and I have seen that the vacuum hoses line on the cruise control vacuum pump tend to crack and cause problems. Based on these codes though it all seems like there’s some kind of electrical issue with the ECU but then again that’s just me guessing.

to your side no question I have recently put in an alpine aftermarket radio. The cruise control did not work though prior to changing the radio and had the same codes.

Old 05-03-2021, 05:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,276 Likes on 897 Posts

Did it ever work? Or did it quite recently? Our 03 didn't work when we bought it, light on switch would illuminate, but no cruise control. It was the tail/brake light bulbs...previous owner had installed LED. Switched bulbs back to original style...worked fine.

Old 05-03-2021, 05:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 387 Likes on 293 Posts

OK, changing factory radios can screw with the cruise due to some speed related volume adjustment feature or something. AMHIK.

Vacuum is vacuum so if you had no leaks in the system, that would include the line feeding the actuator diaphragm. I'm not sure about the validity of checking through the PCV valve however since that's a one way valve, depends how you did the test. It would still be worth inspecting the lines and mechanicals of the system in the engine bay though. Did the cruise ever work? I don't have much experience with cruise ECUs in these trucks but I would think that swapping it out would be a pretty painless troubleshooting attempt. You may want to replug the connectors to rule out a bad connection.

Old 05-03-2021, 05:41 PM
Mudding
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

What model Alpine did you install. It looks nice...

Old 05-03-2021, 05:43 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Did it ever work? Or did it quite recently? Our 03 didn't work when we bought it, light on switch would illuminate, but no cruise control. It was the tail/brake light bulbs...previous owner had installed LED. Switched bulbs back to original style...worked fine.
I appreciate it all good information! I have changed out all the bulbs in the whole vehicle to LED but the cruise control did not work prior to me doing this.

Old 05-03-2021, 05:44 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ahab
OK, changing factory radios can screw with the cruise due to some speed related volume adjustment feature or something. AMHIK.

Vacuum is vacuum so if you had no leaks in the system, that would include the line feeding the actuator diaphragm. I'm not sure about the validity of checking through the PCV valve however since that's a one way valve, depends how you did the test. It would still be worth inspecting the lines and mechanicals of the system in the engine bay though. Did the cruise ever work? I don't have much experience with cruise ECUs in these trucks but I would think that swapping it out would be a pretty painless troubleshooting attempt. You may want to replug the connectors to rule out a bad connection.
The cruise control never worked from the very beginning. I think I will spray all the connectors on the ECU and also check all the vacuum lines on the pump. Beyond that I’m kind of at a loss of what to do. I was hoping there was some known issue with all these code showing that people have fixed it.

Old 05-03-2021, 05:46 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bignacio
What model Alpine did you install. It looks nice...
I had to do a custom dash fit for it because the original radio only fits a single din and this radio is a double din. It cost me a little bit of money but they did good work, they basically move the AC controls down about an inch to make room.

Alpine iLX-W650 7" Mech-Less Receiver Compatible with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
Amazon Amazon

Old 05-03-2021, 05:50 PM
Mudding
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks, I'm thinking of doing something like that. Is there anything else I need to order besides the Alpine?

Quick Reply: D2 Cruise control not working