Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 Died on the road.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 12:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default D2 Died on the road.

Yesterday morning my 2003/D2 died while coasting to a stop at a light. Engine cranked but did not start. I pushed it onto the shoulder and ran through the basics, everything checks out under the hood with a visual inspection.

I ran home, got my ultraguage and hooked it up, the only code I have is for ABS: p1590. After the vehicle sat for about an hour it finally restarted. I tried to drive it home, and after half a mile had the same thing happen: when lifting off the throttle and coasting/braking for a red light it died again, and would not restart.

I called the tow truck, and after being towed home it started and I drove it off the roll-back!

My first thought is a crank sensor, but RAVE clearly states:
"If the CKP sensor fails while the engine is running the engine will suddenly stall, this is because the CKP sensor has no backup strategy. If this happens the ECM will produce a fault code that it can store in its memory. If the engine is not running when the CKP sensor fails, the vehicle will crank but will be unlikely to start, and no fault code will be generated. In this instance the MIL lamp will remain illuminated and the tachometer will fail to read."
And again, I have NO stored codes other than ABS.

Anyone have any ideas?

Old 01-24-2014, 12:38 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CKPS... Probably can be picked up at Advanced Auto, O'reily, whatever.

I think they got me one in a day. 70ish bucks, I think. If I did it, pretty easy fix

Old 01-24-2014, 01:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Fuel pump going bad will act this way. Once the unit heats up, it dies...cools off and it works till it heats up again.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Similar thing happened to me. I replaced the crank position sensor because all signs pointed toward it being faulty. Turns out my fuel pump relay was bad. 22bucks at Advanced Auto, they had to order it.

Find the fuel pump relay under the hood and switch it with another relay. See if the problem ceases. This wil only take one minute as opposed to repealing the CKPS which could take hours

Old 01-24-2014, 02:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

95% sure it is your Crankshaft Position Sensor. It's only about a $100 and is right under the drivers side of the engine (above the exhaust). There are only 2 bolt and 2 nuts holding it on and it looks and sounds easy to change, BUT the plug is way up top and very hard to get your hands on. I had to get my wife and her skinny arms and little hands to help me out.

From the RAVE:
Crankshaft position sensor Info.pdf

Old 01-24-2014, 03:09 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Rover did the exact same thing with dying suddenly and coasting to a stop... then starting up eventually. It turned out to be the CKS. I bought mine for 65 from a local autoparts store and it was a fairly easy fix.

You can check the fuel pressure with the pressure testing nipple that is situated roughly above the right side coil pack with a schrader valve tester.

However, with it starting up an hour later though... I would be most likely led to believe that it was the CKS. Mine never through any codes throughout the whole thing except good ol' 1590.

Before you tear up your carpet and drop $300 on a fuel pump I would replace the CKS. Because even if it isn't the thing that is stranding you now, it will strand you later and it's an easy rule out for under $100

Old 01-24-2014, 04:11 PM
Pro Wrench

Don't spend a dime before you at least try switching relays under the hood. It takes zero energy and costs nothing. Why waste your time and money guessing what's wrong?!

Old 01-24-2014, 10:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Autozone has the CKPS for 65$ lifetime warranty, it sounds like a CKPS.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:30 PM
Pro Wrench

I bet you it's the CPS

Old 01-24-2014, 11:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Crank pos. sensor.

Quick Reply: D2 Died on the road.