Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 Dog Guard Install Template (to cut holes in the rear upper panels)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 07:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,253 Likes on 672 Posts
Default D2 Dog Guard Install Template (to cut holes in the rear upper panels)

Attached is the LR template for the dog guard install in the D2. I attached a PDF and a PNG. I could not find this anywhere.

You use it on one side, then fold it over the other way for the other side (mirror image).

Sizing: When I print this from my scan, it keeps printing slightly smaller. Not sure if a PDF or Printer setting or what, but I included exact dimensions on the diagram so that you can reduce and enlarge when you print to make it the exact size. (which is important, it may require you to print a few times, trial and error)

Again: If you simply hit print on this, I think it prints out a slightly different size. You will need to resize.

Enjoy.

Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
TimInNova (12-03-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 07:23 PM
Pro Wrench

Here are reference pics from my install for future reference as well.

Old 12-02-2020, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I have a perfect condition OEM D2 Dog Guard, but absolutely zero hardware for it! I had an OEM one in my D1 and I loved it!

The following users liked this post:
nashvegas (12-02-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 11:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 354 Likes on 228 Posts

Phenomenal- at the risk of wanting too much is there a way to figure out where to make a cutout for the rearward set of holes? They would be a good mounting point for a ceiling rack I want to fab up, something like this:

Old 12-03-2020, 08:31 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by greisinb
Phenomenal- at the risk of wanting too much is there a way to figure out where to make a cutout for the rearward set of holes?
Possibly. No template exists I'm aware of.

The absolute easiest thing would be to get side panels off a 7 seater, as they have a grab handle in that location that attaches front and rear.

Barring that, an idea: Without removing the interior trim, it wouldn't be too tough also to use the template to do the front cutout (as I did in these pics) and then measure distance to the rear holes and do a similar sized rectangular cutout. This would then be a very secure mount for such a ceiling shelf. Probably best to measure in a salvage yard or buy those grab handles on ebay and measure (as my panels are back in!).

Old 12-03-2020, 08:55 AM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

That makes a very clean install. I don't have dogs, but would this also work for wife/kids?

Old 12-03-2020, 11:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by nashvegas
Possibly. No template exists I'm aware of.

The absolute easiest thing would be to get side panels off a 7 seater, as they have a grab handle in that location that attaches front and rear.

Barring that, an idea: Without removing the interior trim, it wouldn't be too tough also to use the template to do the front cutout (as I did in these pics) and then measure distance to the rear holes and do a similar sized rectangular cutout. This would then be a very secure mount for such a ceiling shelf. Probably best to measure in a salvage yard or buy those grab handles on ebay and measure (as my panels are back in!).
I think I'm going to make the front cutouts with your template and then estimate the distance to the rear holes. I have some drafting software that could make it pretty straight forward with the help of your photos. If I'm off by a little it won't be a big deal as my disco is far from mint.

Old 12-03-2020, 11:53 AM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by greisinb
I think I'm going to make the front cutouts with your template and then estimate the distance to the rear holes. I have some drafting software that could make it pretty straight forward with the help of your photos. If I'm off by a little it won't be a big deal as my disco is far from mint.
Couldn't you just cut the front hole, take measurements from there to the rear holes and mark the panel for the rear cuts?

Old 12-03-2020, 11:55 AM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Also, I think years ago I called AB and they sent me the instructions along with the template. I think they had it in PDF format and it prints true to size. Not sure if they still have it available though but worth a try.

Old 12-03-2020, 01:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Well, I'll be darned. A close inspection reveals I already have that hardware installed from a PO, I had no idea that's what it was for!

Quick Reply: D2 Dog Guard Install Template (to cut holes in the rear upper panels)