Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 exhaust leak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 03:22 PM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts
Default D2 exhaust leak?

04 D2
Brief history, chasing a tick.
Can't belive it's a bearing knock(sounds nothing like it)
Replaced oil pump, was cracked, tick remains.
Replaced lifters, pushrods, rocker shafts.
Co2 test passed, no Co2 in coolant, engine does not heat. Head gaskets were replaced at some point.
Coolant tank still holds pressure hours after engine shut off.
Was seriously leaning towards a slipped liner, but still unsure.
Have been hunting for a vacuum leak lately also(which could cause the MAF codes I've been getting). Unrelated, yes. However, while letting it idle looking for a vacuum leak, I noticed the tick is gone again, and after two 20 min+ runs, with a little driving around the driveway.
What I do now have, is an exhaust leak, on the driver side (U.S model), same side as my previous, but now gone, ticking.
I had an exhaust leak previously, but it was the coupling in front of the muffler. Now that is sealed well, the manifold to head, or manifold to pipe is leaking. I assume it was the next weak link, and blew out after no longer being able to escape in front of the muffler.
I found this late, as it progressively got worse, and quickly. No big deal, and an easy fix, other than bolts that may potentially be siezed.
Now, with all that said, finally, my question.
To anyone who has had a manifold leak on a 4.6; did it ever sound like a hammering, metallic, tapping sound??
I can't say that I have ever heard an exhaust leak like the tapping before, and that is many, many vehicles in 25 years+.
But, as strange as everything else Land Rover seems to be, I thought I'de ask. Since the tick is gone, and this is the longest the tick has not been there.
Could be a temporary coinsidence, or else this thing has the funkiest exhaust leak I ever heard. Which is now blown out, and a cheap easy fix.
Could it really be that simple??
Any input is appreciated.
Thanks

Old 10-16-2017, 04:12 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Exhaust leak with hammering sound. It sounds familiar. There was an event I had all of the above plus the clunking noise with my drive shaft. With all the noise its very hard to determine but at the end it was a noise coming from my CATS. Some metallic object got loose inside. Anyway, I had a cat code as well so I replaced my cats. To determine the cat clunk, get a rubber mallet slightly larger than your fist. Bang all the parts near it or around it including the pipes. You might hear some parts vibrating or loose inside which contributes to the tick noise. Also make sure tighten the 3 stud around the flange. Cheers

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 04:49 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
Exhaust leak with hammering sound. It sounds familiar. There was an event I had all of the above plus the clunking noise with my drive shaft. With all the noise its very hard to determine but at the end it was a noise coming from my CATS. Some metallic object got loose inside. Anyway, I had a cat code as well so I replaced my cats. To determine the cat clunk, get a rubber mallet slightly larger than your fist. Bang all the parts near it or around it including the pipes. You might hear some parts vibrating or loose inside which contributes to the tick noise. Also make sure tighten the 3 stud around the flange. Cheers

The cats seem fine, no rattles.
I checked them a few weeks sgo.
But thanks

Old 10-16-2017, 07:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 841 Likes on 612 Posts

In my case a leaking exhaust manifold-to-downpipe gasket sounded like what I would have described as valvetrain noise or valvetrain rattle. It could be described as metallic, I suppose.

It was audible only when accelerating fairly aggressively. I tested to identify the location of the leak with a YouTube-sourced method. I stuck the hose of my shop vac in the tailpipe set to blow not vacuum, then sprayed the various exhaust gasket joints with soapy water to look for bubbles. Worked great.

Sixpack577 (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 07:40 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by mln01
In my case a leaking exhaust manifold-to-downpipe gasket sounded like what I would have described as valvetrain noise or valvetrain rattle. It could be described as metallic, I suppose.

It was audible only when accelerating fairly aggressively. I tested to identify the location of the leak with a YouTube-sourced method. I stuck the hose of my shop vac in the tailpipe set to blow not vacuum, then sprayed the various exhaust gasket joints with soapy water to look for bubbles. Worked great.

Well, my noise could be described like that too I guess.
Only now the noise is gone, hopefully for good. Had I suspected an exhaust leak earlier I would've tried the vacuum. Now, even though I haven't really looked, I can tell the leak is at the driver side manifold. Hopefully to the pipe, not the head, because it's easier to fix.
Thanks

Old 10-16-2017, 07:42 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
I'm glad to hear that the hammering sound could have been an exhaust leak. And now the hammering is gone, as the gasket has blow out to a constant sputter.
Time will tell.
Thank you

Old 10-16-2017, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,672 Posts

It could be a cracked exhaust manifold, or set of bad gaskets at the engine side or at the exhaust manifold/cat connection, or as mentioned above loose nuts.

Sixpack577 (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 08:37 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Best4x4
It could be a cracked exhaust manifold, or set of bad gaskets at the engine side or at the exhaust manifold/cat connection, or as mentioned above loose nuts.
Yes, but do/can Land Rovers have a not so typical exhaust leak sound/ tone? A metallic tap.
Kind of like explaining what the tornado sounded like, lol.
If my noise doesn't come back, then it would have to be the exhaust. To which I will be very suprised...and happy! Man that'll be the strangest exhaust leak I've ever heard.
From the comments here, and other posts I've read, and all things considered, I'm optomistic for now.
I ordered manifold to pipe gaskets, nuts and studs for both sides today. It'll be a few days before I get time to check and see exactly where the leak is.
Thank you

Last edited by Sixpack577; 10-16-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,672 Posts

On my 98 LSE D1 & my 99 D2 I had what sounded like pinging from low octane fuel in say a 89-94 RRC without knock sensors. It sounded like lifters, but on both of them once they fully warmed up the ticking wouldn't be as bad. On the 98 LSE D1 I had replaced all the gaskets myself maybe 6 months earlier, one day I was under it and had my 13mm with extensions and sure enough the nuts I'd put anti-seize on were very loose on the left bank. Tightened them down and bingo no more ticking. Just for grins I got under the 99 and I found the same exact thing. Tightened them down and no more ticking.

The one I never could figure out was my 08 F150 FX4 that only made the ticking sound in reverse lol. Leave it to a Ford to be weird like that. I never fixed that engine from ticking in reverse! Slap it in D and the sound was gone...

Sixpack577 (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 09:27 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Best4x4
On my 98 LSE D1 & my 99 D2 I had what sounded like pinging from low octane fuel in say a 89-94 RRC without knock sensors. It sounded like lifters, but on both of them once they fully warmed up the ticking wouldn't be as bad. On the 98 LSE D1 I had replaced all the gaskets myself maybe 6 months earlier, one day I was under it and had my 13mm with extensions and sure enough the nuts I'd put anti-seize on were very loose on the left bank. Tightened them down and bingo no more ticking. Just for grins I got under the 99 and I found the same exact thing. Tightened them down and no more ticking.

The one I never could figure out was my 08 F150 FX4 that only made the ticking sound in reverse lol. Leave it to a Ford to be weird like that. I never fixed that engine from ticking in reverse! Slap it in D and the sound was gone...

Well, it seems like it just may have been an exhaust leak then.
Fingers crossed in the meantime.

As for the Ford, it's a Ford...and I'm a Ford man.
My friends call my Land Rover a "foreign Ford", after all it's issues.
I'll have to ask about the ticking in reverse, I'm curious now, and a friend has an 08 f150. I'll have to see if his ever has or does that.
Thanks again for your help.

Quick Reply: D2 exhaust leak?