Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 Headgasket help....

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 03:26 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D2 Headgasket help....

I'm starting the head gasket job on my 2003 Discovery. I've downloaded the RAVE manual but I am unsure how to disconnect the the fuel supply to the rails. Any help and or advice is greatly welcome...

Old 05-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a quick connect at the firewall end of the fuel rail. Feel for the tab on the quick connect and press it in, it should come free. Do not press it too hard or else it does not release. You could also buy those plastic quick connect tools at on of the auto stores.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:06 AM
Drifting

Can anyone give me a rough estimate on the time (start > finish) on Head gasket job? Any sticking points that you guys can share your wisdom with me? Thanks again...

Old 05-04-2011, 11:12 AM
Banned

If you are really fast then you could do it in 8 hours, excluding machine time for the heads. But it is more like a 2 weekend or a week job working nights etc.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bundu
If you are really fast then you could do it in 8 hours, excluding machine time for the heads. But it is more like a 2 weekend or a week job working nights etc.
Sorry for all the questions... I feel like a noob! lol I guess I am with regards to this job. With regards to the Air cond Compressor, must you completely remove the AC hoses?

Old 05-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Banned

No, you can move the a/c compressor out of the way and let it rest on the air filter.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:32 PM
Drifting

I read somewhere on this forum that there is an upgrade to the stock headgaskets that come with British Pacific parts kit. Can someone point me to this gasket?

Old 05-04-2011, 01:40 PM
Banned

Discovery II Head Gasket Kit - Land Rover Discovery Parts And Accessories At Atlantic British
There is no upgrade, your 2003 came out with composite head gaskets. Older discos did not, hence the reference about better head gaskets for the older models.
You also need a head bolt set.
You can also try Will Tiller for a hg and bolt set.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:53 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bundu
Discovery II Head Gasket Kit - Land Rover Discovery Parts And Accessories At Atlantic British
There is no upgrade, your 2003 came out with composite head gaskets. Older discos did not, hence the reference about better head gaskets for the older models.
You also need a head bolt set.
You can also try Will Tiller for a hg and bolt set.
I want to take the time to thank you for your help. Is there any carbon removing product you can recommend? While the top end is off I might as well clean the piston surfaces and/or any other areas that have carbon build up.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Banned

Normally you do not clean the pistons while they are in the block, only if they are out. The reason being you may dislodge deposits that fall between the piston head and cylinder wall and can cause damage there. The better option is to do a induction cleaning once you have the engine running again. You can clean the heads and valve covers while they are off.

Quick Reply: D2 Headgasket help....