Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 Power Steering Torture!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 04:42 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default D2 Power Steering Torture!

Just finished replacing everything in my '03 power steering system. From tank to pump to gearbox and all the hoses. When I started it up I was delighted! I had power steering again! After a moment, it was gone. No power assist what so ever.

I Bled the system for several minutes, jacked up, turning the wheel side to side, from the bleed screw on the gearbox. No air was seen (used a clear hose running up and back into the tank).

There was some initial whining, but after bleeding that sound went away.

There is a very healthy amount of fluid circulating inside the tank.

I have worked the adjuster, in 1/4 turns, from one full rotation right to one full rotation left. The effect is zero.

I'm guessing that air still remains trapped in the system, somewhere. Outside of the bleed screw, is there any other way to get it out?

Or do I have an obstruction, somewhere? Seems unlikely with the flow I see in the tank.

This all makes me quite miserable. I've got a kid coming home for Christmas that is planning to drive that D2 back to school.

As for why I replaced everything ... The power steering pump went off like a grenade. Pieces and parts apparently flushed through the system. I put on a new pump, but The steering gearbox developed a "binding" when recovering from a left hand turn. Dangerous as heck. So ... replaced the gearbox and put on a new pump and replaced all the lines. Now I've got an airpocket somewhere that won't go away (probably).

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Old 12-17-2017, 05:31 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 12-17-2017, 05:38 PM
Mudding

Thanks. Reread that post. That's exactly what I did. Still no power assist.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:00 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by JettsRover
Thanks. Reread that post. That's exactly what I did. Still no power assist.
did you replace the intermediate Steering Shaft?

Old 12-17-2017, 08:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Something I ran into on another truck after a new pump and gearbox was a bad u joint that would almost freeze up the steering when it was on plane with the steering. If you have all new steering equipment be sure to check for binding with the drag link off first. Just to eliminate it. Be sure to jack
up the front end and rotate the wheels and shafts. It’s probably good but better safe than driving yourself nuts with bleeding

Old 12-17-2017, 09:34 PM
Mudding
Default Replaced the Lower Steering Column, too.

Collie Rover ... I did replace the lower steering column, is that what you are referring to? Your link took me to a BMW site.

Old 12-17-2017, 10:06 PM
Mudding

Fastercat ... Will do on checking the steering without the drag link.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:10 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by JettsRover
Collie Rover ... I did replace the lower steering column, is that what you are referring to? Your link took me to a BMW site.
I didn’t knowingly put a link in, so not sure where that came from.

My lower U Joints was binding horribly due to rust/wear. Try lubricating with WD 40 the top I joint and see if it helps. Mine was binding like crazy and I sprayed it with WD 40 and it started working. It was hard to really get a good look at the U joints in there. So I replaced the pump, box before figuring it out.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:46 PM
Mudding

Considering it does have some power assiste steering when it first starts up, I have to assume that air/pressure is forming somewhere and causing the loss of assist as the sytem fully pressurizes.

I've bled the heck out of it, with a clear hose running from the bleed nipple up into the reseviour. I have seen one lone bubble come up. I guess I just keep doing that. Cannot figure out where else the problem might be. Everything is new. It had power steering before I replaced the gearbox and pump (although the gearbox would bind terribly, thus the reason for its replacement). And I have been able to eliminate the initial squeal from the power steering pump after bleeding .... so some air has been removed.

Is there something on the gearbox that has to be "turned on", that I failed to do?

Old 12-18-2017, 01:47 PM
Mudding

Or ... is there some fitting that could be allowing air to get in? Everything is tight. No leaks.

Quick Reply: D2 Power Steering Torture!