Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 Radiator Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 06:39 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
What's the easiest way to remove a D2 radiator?
.................................................. ................................

Thanks

About a half pound of gelignite works well, don't do much for the truck though

Seriously, I don't know too much about the V8 rad but the TD5 is easyish. Check the RAVE for the simplest way but also checkout their revisions as often they have found a quicker way.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:02 AM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

Nope
No horn, battery box, or air box removal is needed.
2 visible bolts on the top, remove grill, remove rubber flaps on each side of condensor(3 rivot screws each), now 1 phillips head screw on the front center of each side can be reached.
Slide transmission cooler out of plastic on lower front driver side of radiator.
That's it.
Thanks for the help guys.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:20 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 387 Likes on 293 Posts

You may be missing two brackets that hold the top of the radiator and also the condenser to the frame. Bracket #10 is fastened behind the horn with a single 10mm bolt on each side of the chassis. I only point it out because they will prevent the radiators from moving around and it would be worth trying to scavenge a set the next time you're at the yard. Or I can grab you a set the next time one shows up at mine.

The following users liked this post:
shanechevelle (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 08:42 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by ahab
You may be missing two brackets that hold the top of the radiator and also the condenser to the frame. Bracket #10 is fastened behind the horn with a single 10mm bolt on each side of the chassis. I only point it out because they will prevent the radiators from moving around and it would be worth trying to scavenge a set the next time you're at the yard. Or I can grab you a set the next time one shows up at mine.

Yep!

I agree

Old 07-16-2018, 09:38 AM
TReK

I'm not missing any brackets, everything is there.
As said, only the rubber flaps on each side of the condensor need removed, to access one phillips head screw per side. As well as the 2 at the top facing the front(just as the Rave shows).
Much easier removal than any of the descriptions here.
Removing horns gives access to nothing.
Removing battery box and air box is just a harder way than removing the rubber flaps on each side of the condensor.
Removal was much easier than it looked, it's just hard to see where the plastic radiator tanks unbolt from the plastic bracket.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

I think i left out some vertical / trim pieces when i did my radiator a few months back. I coudlnt get them back in for some reason so i just left them out

Old 07-16-2018, 08:30 PM
Pro Wrench

I'm not missing any brackets, everything is there.
As said, only the rubber flaps on each side of the condensor need removed, to access one phillips head screw per side. As well as the 2 at the top facing the front(just as the Rave shows).
Much easier removal than any of the descriptions here.
Removing horns gives access to nothing.
Removing battery box and air box is just a harder way than removing the rubber flaps on each side of the condensor.
Removal was much easier than it looked, it's just hard to see where the plastic radiator tanks unbolt from the plastic bracket.
So how do you get it off the two brackets behind the horns?

Old 07-16-2018, 10:30 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by shanechevelle
So how do you get it off the two brackets behind the horns?
Screws hold it to the brackets, no need for the brackets themselves to come off.
I removed the horns and the foam behind them, and the radiator was still over an inch inside each opening, I can look straight through those openings to the engine bay with the radiator in, and not see the radiator.
Just remove the rubber flaps on each side of the condensor, the phillips head screws are then visible. Those and the top 2 that also face the front.
That's it.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:13 AM
Pro Wrench

Screws hold it to the brackets, no need for the brackets themselves to come off.
I removed the horns and the foam behind them, and the radiator was still over an inch inside each opening, I can look straight through those openings to the engine bay with the radiator in, and not see the radiator.
Just remove the rubber flaps on each side of the condensor, the phillips head screws are then visible. Those and the top 2 that also face the front.
That's it.
So you take the screw out of the bracket at the radiator, not behind the horns, to take out the rad?

Hmmm, I'm sure I will have to disassemble yet again one day...I will try that.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:58 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by shanechevelle
So you take the screw out of the bracket at the radiator, not behind the horns, to take out the rad?

Hmmm, I'm sure I will have to disassemble yet again one day...I will try that.
I'll take some pics tonight, my new radiator isn't here yet.

Quick Reply: D2 Radiator Removal