Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 Radiator Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 06:22 PM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts
Default D2 Radiator Removal

What's the easiest way to remove a D2 radiator?
I have the grill and fan shroud off, and the top bolt on each side of the radiator.
I can't see what's holding it at the bottom.
I do not want to remove the ac condensor or transmission cooler if I don't have to.
Thanks

Old 07-14-2018, 07:38 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I removed the battery box. There should be a Phillips screw (head facing the front grill) that attaches the radiator to a support bracket about half way down. One on each side. I believe you can also get to them by removing the horns on both sides then pulling down the foam behind them for access. I think the oil cooler is attached to the condenser so that shouldn't be a factor. I was a (few) beers deep when I did mine so the details are somewhat foggy. There is a guy on youtube that shows the battery box way. That's what got me started. Hope that somewhat helps. Not sure if the year matters but 04 here.

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (07-14-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 07:57 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

I only remember thinking that you should follow the instructions in the RAVE manual in order. Wish I had a better memory.

Sixpack577 (07-14-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 08:39 PM
TReK

Will the radiator come out without removing the oil cooler and condensor brackets?
It looks like it is more complicated than it should be.
Anyone had a radiator out recently?

Old 07-14-2018, 09:04 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by 328Driver
I removed the battery box. There should be a Phillips screw (head facing the front grill) that attaches the radiator to a support bracket about half way down. One on each side. I believe you can also get to them by removing the horns on both sides then pulling down the foam behind them for access. I think the oil cooler is attached to the condenser so that shouldn't be a factor. I was a (few) beers deep when I did mine so the details are somewhat foggy. There is a guy on youtube that shows the battery box way. That's what got me started. Hope that somewhat helps. Not sure if the year matters but 04 here.
I had the horns out, and there is a visible phillips head on each side, holding a bracket. I was mistaking these for the phillips heads on the other side of each support. The battery box and airbox need to be removed to access them.
Thanks again for your help.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

You have to unclip/unbolt the cooler from the radiator, it sits in one side and is secured on the other. Once you do that you can lift it out of the brackets & carefully remove the radiator.

When I did it I was able to reach all the screws with a small ratchet and proper bits for the bolts/screws.

Sixpack577 (07-14-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 09:20 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

On my 01 I did not take out the battery box nor the airbox.

Remove the horns.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:46 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

You do not have to remove the transmission cooler, battery or air filter box. You need some long screwdrivers, and the air deflectors are annoying.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 365 Likes on 284 Posts

Everyone has pretty much covered the important steps, here's a walk through. I've done this three times in a month. You mentioned removing your grill, this assumes you've also already dumped your coolant onto the ground, and removed the 3 hoses from the radiator as well as all the shrouding and the fan. The fan is not necessary to remove but it gives you a little more room to work.

Remove horns.
Remove 10mm bolts behind horns and extract L shaped brackets from side of radiator by lifting them off the pins on the plastic.
Undo (2) 10mm bolts on upper side of passenger side condenser fan bracket and remove 2nd L shaped bracket from side of radiator.
Undo the single phillips screw holding the trans cooler to to the radiator (passenger side).
Remove (3) plastic scrivets holding flexible air flap on driver' side. They are next to the drier and penetrate into the cavity where the horn was.
Undo (2) 10mm bolts on driver's of the condenser. Unlike the passenger side, these 2 are on a tab outside of the condenser and are not the two that hold the condenser fan.
Lift the second L shaped bracket off the pin on the driver's side.
Lift the radiator out ot the locating holes in the frame and move it as close to the driver's side of the vehicle as possible.
Slide the trans cooler towards the passenger side to disengage the tab from the radiator housing.
Lift the radiator out.

Pretty sure that's the process. I typed this from memory so hopefully I haven't left anything out.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:00 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by ahab
Everyone has pretty much covered the important steps, here's a walk through. I've done this three times in a month.
ME TOO!!!

My elbow hit the nipple and it broke. I bought a junkyard rad for $20 and as I put that one in, broke that one too.

Quick Reply: D2 Radiator Removal