Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2s left on the road...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 06:14 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

"Rover claims 75% of all Land Rovers made are still on the road, or at least on the side of it"

That's a true statement but the reason is that 75% of all Land Rovers were made in the last 10 years and should still be on the road.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:25 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
The 5% is on Ebay all day long for 20K lol.
There was a D2 on eBay a year or so ago with less than 20k miles for $18k. I Should have bought it.

I wonder what is the lowest mileage D2 in North America??That may have been it.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:28 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Wow, thats a low production number. At least 1/4 have been totalled, probably another 1/4 parted out/sitting in a field, leaving 1/2 running and probably sick. I need to buy another one...

Old 12-20-2017, 10:22 AM
Received 1,147 Likes on 793 Posts

I would think maybe 35% or so

Old 12-20-2017, 10:25 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Lisa Bunch
Wow, thats a low production number. At least 1/4 have been totalled, probably another 1/4 parted out/sitting in a field, leaving 1/2 running and probably sick. I need to buy another one...
I agree with Lisa on this one, especially in Washington. I see a D2 almost every day and in my little village we have at least 3

Old 12-20-2017, 11:16 AM
Winching
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Hopefully, when the numbers left on the road falls below 25%, then they will start going back up in value. Kind of like the Range Rover Classics are doing.

Old 12-20-2017, 02:50 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

I really believed that the D2 would never, ever become sought after as there were so many manufactured worldwide but now so many have been seriously modded and many have hit 'the wreckers yards' that they are becoming rarer every year and many end up as offroading toys like the D1 the world over. So preserve your old D2 as in a few years it'll become more valuable.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

I see D2's around town occasionally. Most are stock driven by non enthusiast. There are the few lifted/modded one's. I rarely see DI's. Maybe once a month or longer and if I see one parked I always circle it to see what kind of shape it is in. The D2's I see are in decent shape. The D1's are faded and tired. I doubt we will ever see the value of them increase substantially. People will think they are neat to see out and probably stare at one's that are in good shape and well maintained. Old bashed up beaters don't catch the eye. Will they bring 20K one day? Not likely. Maybe....maybe one that is in all original shape and well maintained low miles. Or one that has been restored.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by stillruns
I see D2's around town occasionally. Most are stock driven by non enthusiast. There are the few lifted/modded one's. I rarely see DI's. Maybe once a month or longer and if I see one parked I always circle it to see what kind of shape it is in. The D2's I see are in decent shape. The D1's are faded and tired. I doubt we will ever see the value of them increase substantially. People will think they are neat to see out and probably stare at one's that are in good shape and well maintained. Old bashed up beaters don't catch the eye. Will they bring 20K one day? Not likely. Maybe....maybe one that is in all original shape and well maintained low miles. Or one that has been restored.
Don’t mistake bone stock as being a non enthusiast 👍

Old 12-20-2017, 10:18 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Abran, I think the percentage is low, but the number may still be substantial and it may be a more "quality" number for a parts seller than in years past You already know that in my area there are very few Land Rover trucks, much less D2s, but when I drive to Louisiana I see far more. I may live in an odd area and not know what the rest of the world is doing. That's possible. I think that's true.

I used to see an equal amount of POS D2s--totally trashed, leaking everything, dented, cracked-- and an equal number of well kept machines. Now, I only see well kept machines (and I assure you, I never fail to see one in my field of vision, and now, point, wave, or stop and talk), except for a few junkers on Craigslist. I don't see many people who appear to be "stuck" with a crappy rover. Like me and many here, most people I se are stuck by choice rather than finance. No one is still driving a 1999-2005 Land Rover Discovery II (here, anyway) who depends on a garage to keep it running. They just aren't worth enough money. My rambling point is that while I have no idea what product you might be considering, I think a greater percentage of current D2 owners than before would be willing to give it a shot since they have to be doing some tinkering themselves.

But I could be wrong.

Quick Reply: D2s left on the road...