Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dang coolant leak - what could be the possible source?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014 | 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

yes screw type stainless steel hose clamp is the way to go. you can pinch, with pliers, the old style clamp. once it gets past its little catch it will pop off

Old 06-27-2014 | 09:31 AM
|
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by dusty1
yes screw type stainless steel hose clamp is the way to go. you can pinch, with pliers, the old style clamp. once it gets past its little catch it will pop off

Thanks Dusty.. panicking as I have to get to work and have no wheels - argh.. thanks for responding. I tried needle nose pliers and couldn't get it to budge - I'll go get a screw type and use that later today. Thanks again!!

Old 06-27-2014 | 10:24 AM
Pro Wrench

Just be careful you don't break off the nipple on the reservoir while trying to remove the old clamp, or you will be looking at a much more expensive repair. I use channel lock pliers to pinch the clamp and then a small screw driver to get under the clamp to get it to pop open.

Old 06-27-2014 | 11:35 AM
|
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by SuperSport
Just be careful you don't break off the nipple on the reservoir while trying to remove the old clamp, or you will be looking at a much more expensive repair. I use channel lock pliers to pinch the clamp and then a small screw driver to get under the clamp to get it to pop open.
Too late. The nipple is toast and I'm wondering if it was the cause in the first place as I checked the hose and there is no hole in it. I suspect the nipple was the problem to start with, leaking coolant down the hose, dripping onto the ground, yada yada. This sucks. The nipple is half on and half off and I presume there is no good way to glue it with a work-around epoxy?

Old 06-27-2014 | 12:04 PM
Pro Wrench

If it were me, I would carefully drill out the remaining nipple. Go to HomeDepot and find something like this tube and put rubber grommets and nuts on both sides of the plastic, maybe even some Silicon Gasket material, whatever it takes to make it not leak, and put the hose on this.

Preferably Brass if you can find it. I'm sure Home Depot has something that would work.

Or, something like this with o-rings or rubbers washers and nuts on each side of plastic.

Attached Thumbnails Dang coolant leak - what could be the possible source?-std011.jpg   Dang coolant leak - what could be the possible source?-nipple.jpg  

Last edited by SuperSport; 06-27-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-27-2014 | 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

yeah it would be a tough repair, even for a temp. fix. you'd have to go with something like ^
as for replacement, I don't think there is a need to drop the big bucks on oem. I have been running the cheap one for a while with no issue.

Last edited by dusty1; 06-27-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-27-2014 | 12:14 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by dusty1
yeah it would be a tough repair, even for a temp. fix. you'd have to go with something like ^
as for replacement, I don't think there is a need to drop the big bucks on oem. I have been running the cheap one for a while with no issue.
True, unless you thread directly into the plastic (which might work), I'm not sure how you'd get the nut on the inside.

Here is an after market. At $70, Way less than the $230 OEM.
EXPANSION TANK COOLANT OVERFLOW P38A RANGE ROVER & , PLI554, PCF101410 - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts

And FleaBay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Radia...ac706f&vxp=mtr

Last edited by SuperSport; 06-27-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-27-2014 | 12:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Rockauto is another source for the tank, $38.

Search for ESR2935 on rockauto.com

More Information for ÜRO PARTS ESR2935

Old 06-27-2014 | 12:20 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by acamato
Rockauto is another source for the tank, $38.

Search for ESR2935 on rockauto.com

More Information for ÜRO PARTS ESR2935
Good find.

Old 06-27-2014 | 12:23 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle

thanks. I just picked up a used one for $35.00. How difficult is it to remove the tank and replace? Looking for video thru Atlantic British but haven't found one yet.. looks like I'll be digging into Bertha this weekend. Hopefully I can get back on the road soon.

Maybe I shouldn't have gone used as I don't want to run into the same exact issue that I'm dealing with. Wonder how this happened in the first place? Old plastic, heating and cooling, expansion/contraction, etc? Tech reefed on it too hard when I had the throttle body worked on this past winter? Pointless now I know but curious as to how it happened. I'm sure it must have been leaking from that point to start with and I just discovered it this morning. I initially thought it was a hole in the hose due to the dripping off the hose at a point 2 inches down (on the underside) but then realized that the clamp was loose and I was able to just push up on it. THEN realized when taking the hose off that the plastic was bending back and forth and that's when it hit me.. 'great - I have a bigger issue here at hand'.

..and here I wanted an 'emotionally immersed opus'. Guess I got it, eh?...

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 06-27-2014 at 12:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Dang coolant leak - what could be the possible source?