Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dang Headliner...again

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 10:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Dang Headliner...again

I am having one heck of a time trying to screw in the overhead console/map holder after removing headliner and replacing it. The headliner went in beautifully, the problems is i can't get ONE of the ten screws started. So, my question is this...has anyone ever used different screws to get overhead console in place? My thoughts are to use a little larger, self tapping sheet metal screws to secure it into place. I am aware that i need to be careful not to penetrate the outer sheet metal, causing a leak. Is there anything else that I am unaware of that could go wrong with this alternative?

This is the last piece to get put together after mounting and wiring lights, switches and a cb radio. Needless to say, I'm chomping at the bit to button it all up.

As always, any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:49 AM
4wd Low
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I personally would pull the headliner out and then make sure the screws went into the mounts in each hole. If you have trouble with no headliner experiment with a slightly larger screw to see if that helps get it to "bite" into the mounts. If so awesome, just use larger diameter screws. Hopefully it is just a case of it not being lined up properly. Good luck man.

Old 04-03-2020, 09:48 AM
Three Wheeling

Daniel Smith, yeah I had the tray (or whatever you call it) off once before, and it was annoying, but not even close to as difficult as it is now. Not one of the 10 would bite. I'm going to pick up some larger diameter screws on the way home from work. Before i try those, i'll try the old ones one more time with a clear head. I suspect the screws that i pulled out are not the originals anyway. That may have something to do with it as well

i appreciate the feedback .

Old 04-03-2020, 09:54 AM
4wd Low
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I know the headache. I just pulled mine and did the bed liner paint job to it. I was so excited to put it back in the next evening after working all day I was a bit tired and running out of daylight that it seemed to take forever to get those front ones to go where they should have. It does look pretty sweet though. Again best of luck.

The following users liked this post:
Rove Again (04-03-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 10:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

Use a magnetic tip Phillip's. Also while the headliner is out adjust the net pockets by taking some length out of the top string so they don't sag.

The following 4 users liked this post by zuke:
Daniel Smith (04-03-2020), Discorama (04-03-2020), Rove Again (04-03-2020), Sixpack577 (04-03-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 11:57 AM
Three Wheeling

great tip on the net pockets. and yeah i did bedliner too. love the look. ill love it more once its all buttoned up

Old 04-03-2020, 08:14 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,041 Posts

The front console screws thread in to plastic anchors, if the anchors fallout the screws will not bite. You shoudl be able shine a flashlight in to the hole and see if the anchors are there.

Old 04-06-2020, 07:46 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
The front console screws thread in to plastic anchors, if the anchors fallout the screws will not bite. You shoudl be able shine a flashlight in to the hole and see if the anchors are there.
Do the anchors typically need to be replaced or is it better to replace old plastic any chance you get? If so, where's the best place to pick up the part?

Old 04-06-2020, 08:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

How's the smell with the bedliner? Which one did you use?

Old 04-07-2020, 05:34 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,041 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBestCow
Do the anchors typically need to be replaced or is it better to replace old plastic any chance you get? If so, where's the best place to pick up the part?
As long as they are there you are good, problem is they fall out over the years.

Quick Reply: Dang Headliner...again