Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Battery? And where to get a new one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 11:01 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Battery? And where to get a new one?

Hey guys, my wipers stopped working right a few months ago (I think I posted here about that, lol). I hadn't used my rover disco II SE 2004 in a few weeks, and drove to the grocery store. Got my groceries, came back, car wouldnt start. AAA came and tested things, OF COURSE their testing tool stopped working halfway through, but the guy said it was a battery issue, it was 7 years old and needed a new one.

I'm a newbie here. Where's the most cost effective way to get a new battery? Is it easy to install? I know, huge newbie question. Love my Disco!

Thanks

Old 03-22-2012, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

An auto parts store will test battery and alternator for free, and install the battery. If you have not done one, watch them. Then in 3 years, repeat. Sears also sell batteries. WalMart, some call their store brand "never start", but it will be better than your 7 year old one. If stuck for cash (not you, but perhaps a future reader), many salvage yards pull out the cream of the crop used batteries, and sell them for about $25. May last the rest of the vacation, until payday, or another year....

They are not hard to install. On a scale of 1-10 it is like a 0.5.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:21 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can also look in the phone book for rebuilt batteries. They are half the cost of and last about the same as Walmart batteries.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:33 PM
Overlanding

so an auto parts store will have an '04 disco II battery?

what if my car wont make it to the store? Just tried turning it on -- flickering lights, faint horn, clicking noise...

Old 03-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

It's a standard battery, group 24 or group 34 with a spacer under it. If you cannot make it, take the battery out and hitch a ride with a friend.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:28 PM
Overlanding

can you guys link me to one on Amazon or WalMart.com, so I can see which one it is? Appreciate this, thanks.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:33 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Yes, parts stores have batteries, everybody has then.
You want a 34 series battery with at least an 800 CCA rating, nothing less, and don't go cheap, weak batteries will not hold up in your truck.
I would suggest one of the better Interstate batteries or a platinum battery from sears.
How many miles on your truck, who does your trucks services and when was the last major service done. By the way, have you ever had your front drive shaft rebuilt or replaced to prevent it failing and killing your tranny?

Old 03-22-2012, 03:48 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Yes, parts stores have batteries, everybody has then.
You want a 34 series battery with at least an 800 CCA rating, nothing less, and don't go cheap, weak batteries will not hold up in your truck.
I would suggest one of the better Interstate batteries or a platinum battery from sears.
How many miles on your truck, who does your trucks services and when was the last major service done. By the way, have you ever had your front drive shaft rebuilt or replaced to prevent it failing and killing your tranny?
I prefer interstate batteries over other brands. But watch out for interstate's cheap line of batteries.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:20 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

When my battery died a few months back I found this Interstate battery on sale at Firestone:

Battery Pricing Search | Firestone Complete Auto Care

they do have an 800 CCA version for a few dollars more. It was the best price I could find anywhere on an Interstate Battery.

It was quite fun watching their tire tech try to open the hood then find the battery inside. Obviously they don't get many Rovers.

Last edited by Dave03S; 03-22-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default these are great

I have 2 of these in mine..great warranty and specs out like higher end batteries..

Buy AutoCraft Gold Battery, Group Size 34, 700 CCA 34-2 at Advance Auto Parts

Quick Reply: Dead Battery? And where to get a new one?