Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead in the Water - Waiting for AAA

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 04:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 595 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Dead in the Water - Waiting for AAA

Interesting thing happened to me today. Truck running like a boss going to and from work for weeks. 50 miles each day. Earlier in the week my battery died but I was able to jump it off and it started up without a problem the next morning.

I drove it to work without an issue today, parked and when I came out the battery was dead. Tried to jump it off and would crank but not start. Multiple times trying to start but and it would start for a moment and then die - like it was out of gas. Started reading about it while waiting on AAA and read somewhere that the immobilizes might be engaged. So I reset that according to the sticky, went to get a jump and the same thing happened. Started for a second then died.

So that’s the symptoms. Only environmental issue that is different is it is much colder out now - down to the 40s which just happened today. Also AAA said I don’t have the right battery in the truck - need an AGM but it’s been working fine up until now.

So maybe fuel pump? Gas gauge says it’s got 1/4 tank left. What else?

Old 12-19-2019, 05:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 442 Likes on 279 Posts

Agreed, need an AGM and also make sure it's all charged up, especially if you're making shorter trips frequently. I charge my D2 batteries once a month and they nearly always need a top off of about 20-40%.

The following users liked this post:
cvhyatt (12-19-2019)
Old 12-19-2019, 05:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Also have a pending code of p1672.

Old 12-19-2019, 08:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 354 Likes on 228 Posts

Do all years need an AGM? I had no idea about this, where is it indicated that and AGM is needed, or is it just recommended for the age/style of the vehicle?

Old 12-19-2019, 08:58 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

1672 is a security system code, i had that once, no start, no click, no crank. Cleared the code, started right up.

Old 12-19-2019, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

D2 doesn't require an AGM battery. If you have that's great but a standard battery is fine

The following users liked this post:
shanechevelle (12-21-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 04:48 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Did you lock and unlock the truck several times using the key or fob

Old 12-20-2019, 05:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Extinct
Did you lock and unlock the truck several times using the key or fob
Yes I did lock and unlock several times. I guess with the battery being in a semi-dead mode it hasn't been able to properly communicate that the security is fine and has put it in an immobilization model? I am hoping that between the battery and the p1672 code it will get cleared up because it is just too much of coincidence that i could have a fuel problem that same time I have a dead battery.

I did try clearing the codes but the p1672 was a pending code so it would not clear.

AAA let me down. They couldn't find anybody with a small enough rig to get in the parking garage so I ended up taking a Lyft home. Going to head back out there on Saturday and replace the battery and see if that works. If you guys have any other thoughts on what to try, I would greatly appreciate it because I will be working on it in a parking garage!

Old 12-20-2019, 06:01 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Further reading seems to indicate the BECM and the ECU are out of sync and that I will need a nanocom or hawkeye to resync them. Going to call an independent and see if they have one handy.

Old 12-20-2019, 06:52 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by cvhyatt
Yes I did lock and unlock several times. I guess with the battery being in a semi-dead mode it hasn't been able to properly communicate that the security is fine and has put it in an immobilization model? I am hoping that between the battery and the p1672 code it will get cleared up because it is just too much of coincidence that i could have a fuel problem that same time I have a dead battery.

I did try clearing the codes but the p1672 was a pending code so it would not clear.

AAA let me down. They couldn't find anybody with a small enough rig to get in the parking garage so I ended up taking a Lyft home. Going to head back out there on Saturday and replace the battery and see if that works. If you guys have any other thoughts on what to try, I would greatly appreciate it because I will be working on it in a parking garage!
And AAA couldn't walk a battery in to your vehicle? What good are they then?

Quick Reply: Dead in the Water - Waiting for AAA