Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a deal? or dumb?

Old 04-29-2019, 06:55 PM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is this a deal? or dumb?

New member here. I currently own a stock 1985 Toyota FJ60, and want to build an overland rig. I'm at a cross road between doing all the upgrades to the L/C, suspension, LS engine, bumpers lockers, etc, or getting a newer rig with all the necessary equipment all ready there. My choices are a 100 series Land Cruiser or a Disco. From all the research I've done, the Land Rovers out of the box off road capability and sexy good looks appeal to me, plus They can be had for less than a well sorted 100 series. The solid axles on the Disco are also an item I like. The local transmission shop in town has a 2003 Disco that had a mechanics lean, which he claims he installed a new engine because the owner overheated and cracked the block. The shop owner will sell it to me for $2500. The truck itself looks good other than a cracked front bumper which I will replace anyway. I also know that Land Rover ownership is not for the faint of heart and know about the troublesome aluminum v8 and the three amigos. The only thing I don't like is that it has no center diff lock which is a must. All the research I've done is vague as to weather this can be modified or would I need to install a new transfer case. Being a petrol head, I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty but weather or not to dump 10 to 12 K INTO my cruiser or buy a $2500 rover with a new engine, which is more highway friendly in the long run but another rabbit hole to sink money into. I have to admit that a Disco is unique and a car you look over your shoulder at after you park.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:29 PM
Winching
Received 131 Likes on 77 Posts

Center diff can be added by swapping front output housing https://landroverclubvi.weebly.com/2003cdlinstall.html

Old 04-29-2019, 07:51 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

In think it depends on what you are going to be happy with. If u can wrench and do the online thermostat mod on an engine with a good block I think you are way ahead of the game. You may need to do the option b fix on the ABS Pump eventually.

Heck, buy the D2 and enjoy it while u fix up the FJ and sell it on if you like the Toy better.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:34 PM
5th Gear

Sounds like a plan. I've wanted one of the discos but the naysayers have always kept me away. For This kind of money it might be worth a go.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:15 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 245 Likes on 197 Posts

buy the Discovery. it sounds like you have the budget for it and they are fun trucks to drive, easy to work on and look great.

Old 04-30-2019, 09:24 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I grew up in an FJ60 and my father still owns and neglects it. For probably the last 10 years I wanted a Cruiser so bad because they are absolutely wonderful trucks. However right now everyone wants one and since #overlanding is so "in" right now, prices are through the roof even on crusty 250k milers. Cruisers are hardy trucks but like every other vehicle if not properly maintained you're looking at $1,000's in neglected maintenance. The 100 series is a very capable truck but depending the year have their own problems. Presuming you are familiar with 'mud, go into the hundy section and read read read, they have a ton of n00bs there as well.

All the above is what is pushing me to consider a land rover product, whether it be a Range Rover or a Disco. I feel any of these vehicles as well as the cruiser has its pro's and con's, but the days of cheap(er) land rover products are starting to be numbered. If it were me, I would get the disco and see how it goes, as you already have the 60. Keep your FJ60 because they are becoming scarcer every day, and spend some money loving it- get the 2f some fresh gaskets and valves adjusted, maybe put a nice OME suspension and 31's on it and call it a day. Wheel the disco, as they are bigger and have 20 years more advanced safety features, which when you are loaded down with kit will make a difference.

This is all my opinion.

Last edited by ivbyiv; 04-30-2019 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:06 PM
5th Gear

After much consideration, I think I will pass on the 03 even for $2500. Further inspection shows it was pretty neglected. It is going to need new tires, battery, both headlight assemblies have moisture inside, two of the tires are flat the other two are bald, front bumper has black tape covering the cracked plastic bits, Autozone seat covers, clear coat peeling on the roof and there are no plates on it but has DMV moving permit in the window. That is just what I notice right off the bat. The shop owner seems to busy to sit and chat about all the details other than he put a new engine in it and the vehicles owner couldn't pay. He just wants it out of there. I don't think I will waste any more of his time. Seems like bad juju to me. I think I will wait for a 2004 to show up since that was what I was looking for to begin with. Be patient.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

Always trust your gut - or your wifes - whatever the case

Old 04-30-2019, 04:09 PM
Received 1,131 Likes on 781 Posts

Sound like you made exactly the right choice the worst thing you can do is buy a badly looked after vehicle of any type they generally just be a big money pit.

The following users liked this post:
jastutte (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 04:51 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by 1cdccop
After much consideration, I think I will pass on the 03 even for $2500. Further inspection shows it was pretty neglected. It is going to need new tires, battery, both headlight assemblies have moisture inside, two of the tires are flat the other two are bald, front bumper has black tape covering the cracked plastic bits, Autozone seat covers, clear coat peeling on the roof and there are no plates on it but has DMV moving permit in the window. That is just what I notice right off the bat. The shop owner seems to busy to sit and chat about all the details other than he put a new engine in it and the vehicles owner couldn't pay. He just wants it out of there. I don't think I will waste any more of his time. Seems like bad juju to me. I think I will wait for a 2004 to show up since that was what I was looking for to begin with. Be patient.
Pass for sure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is this a deal? or dumb?