Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer trying to rip me off!!!Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 01:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dealer trying to rip me off!!!Help!!!

My 2000 Disco came with a new key fob when I bought it but, it wasn't programmed to the truck. So I call the dealer up and ask if they can program it for me. Service manager asks if I have the the bar code that came with the key. I do not have this. So he says I have to buy a new key and wants $285 for the whole deal. I have read on here some where( I can't find it now) that there is a 6 digit code on the circuit board inside the fob that the dealer can use to get the bar code I need. For some ($)reason($) this service manager does't know anything about this and wants me to buy a new key from him. Anyone have a clue what I'm talking about?

Old 04-02-2009, 08:50 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a similar issue when I bought an additional key with remote fob on Ebay and it did not come with the original bar code supplied with the key when new. I spoke with the LR service manager in Atlanta where I was staying for awile and got the same story: that it could not be programed. I then spoke with the service manager at the LR dealer near my home in Houston who is also the president of our local LR club and he explained that without that bar code the key fob is useless. He also explained that most remote key fobs merely send a signal to the door unlock system just like a remoted garage door opener does using the same message code for the life of the remote. Land Rover security systems change their code everytime you use them so in essence they program the car to work with each remote and without the data that came on that barcode tag they can not do it. Although my LR club president does draw his paycheck from LR he repeatedly goes out of his way to help our members in ways that don't increase the profit margins for his employer, so making money was not an issue here.

That being said... if your non working extra key is one of the original ones that shipped with your car they may be able to get the code by entering your VIN number into your computer. I know they did that for a friend who had removed the radio and did not have the code to reset it.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the alarm system that different for a Discovery I compared to a Discovery II? I came upon a sequence of steps that supposedly program a remote to the car (I don't have it with me, will post when I get to it), that involved someone pressing the hood alarm switch and turning the ignition on and off several times. This is for a Discovery I. I also seem to remember that that process was used many years ago on another Discovery I (both '94) that I used to have.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If you open up your remote, carefully remove the circuit board there is a 6 digit code on the paper tag.
The dealer will still charge you a terrible amount to program it but at least you can use the remote you bought.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:02 PM
Rock Crawling

I'm sending my 6 digit code to roverguy7. I think his name is Dave. I read in one of his posts that he could get the bar code needed if he had the 6 digit code inside the fob. With the bar code the dealer wants $100 bucks to program the fob. I can swing $100...but $285...come on man! Get real...It's a key... My truck isn't broke down! Anyone else that can help let me know and PM you my 6 digit code. Thanks!

Old 04-02-2009, 02:43 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Why do you want someone elses 6 digit number, the one that is needed is the one out of your remote.
I could give you mine but it won't help you.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:44 PM
Rock Crawling

I don't want his. I sent him MY 6 digit code out of my fob. only because I read in one of his recent posts that he knew how to find out the correct bar code for each fob using this 6 digit code. My dealer is telling me that they have never heard of doing it that way. So if Roverguy7 can get me my bar code by using my 6 digit code I won't have to buy another fob.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

He works for a dealer, he can get it for you.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

its not that theyre ripping you off, its that they dont know how to retreve the code, and not everyone can get it if they know how, a whole lot of access restrictions were put in when ford bought the company... anyway, you have the codes now

Old 04-02-2009, 07:52 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ainiguez
Is the alarm system that different for a Discovery I compared to a Discovery II? I came upon a sequence of steps that supposedly program a remote to the car (I don't have it with me, will post when I get to it), that involved someone pressing the hood alarm switch and turning the ignition on and off several times. This is for a Discovery I. I also seem to remember that that process was used many years ago on another Discovery I (both '94) that I used to have.
The programming instructions are for the 94-95 model years. They use a different remote system then the 96-on D1 and the D2. After 96 requires the LR computer to program the remote.

Quick Reply: Dealer trying to rip me off!!!Help!!!