Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership BS warning

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011 | 09:34 AM
Rock Crawling

Download the RAVE manual and do the lower intake pan for less than 200. Or do it and the head gaskets for less than 450.00. Not that bad just time consuming.

Old 03-09-2011 | 11:08 AM
Recovery Vehicle

LOL I worked at LR Monmouth for 8 years... Over the years I grew tired of hearing/seeing stupid stuff like this all the time. (BS estimates, screaming customers, $130 an hour labor rate , cars never getting fixed...) The usual internal answer is "Well they shouldn't be driving a Land Rover if they cant afford to fix it". The dealer is pretty much clueless when it comes to aftermarket options. Make the drive down to Long Branch and see me...

Grove Auto Repair
732-642-2968

Old 03-09-2011 | 12:03 PM
Drifting

gets better looked at the listing of materials on the bill and see no diff lube. I asked the service adviser two times before service about what fluids will be changed for the $1200 and he specifically said diffs and trans case, brake basically everything. Looked at both diff drain plugs today and guess what, rust on threads and no oil wipe marks, jives with bill of materials. /work not done nice huh.

Time to write some letters, etc..

Old 03-09-2011 | 03:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by RoverMasterTech
LOL I worked at LR Monmouth for 8 years... Over the years I grew tired of hearing/seeing stupid stuff like this all the time. (BS estimates, screaming customers, $130 an hour labor rate , cars never getting fixed...) The usual internal answer is "Well they shouldn't be driving a Land Rover if they cant afford to fix it". The dealer is pretty much clueless when it comes to aftermarket options. Make the drive down to Long Branch and see me...

Grove Auto Repair
732-642-2968
Good to know you are around should I need something.

Old 03-09-2011 | 04:54 PM
6th Gear

Don't get discouraged guys, the Disco II is a great vehicle. You just need to find a good, independent mechanic who knows Land Rovers, (I'm lucky to have a great mechanic here in Dayton). Anyway, NEVER go to the dealer for parts or service. Try to do as much work as you can on your own (this forum is a great resource!). You'll be surprised how much work you can actually do yourself with a little help from the group and getting your parts online (I like Atlantic British, but I also have an independent international parts store in town that has great prices). My 1999 Series II has 180k miles on it and it is running strong and looks like new! I've had my share of issues and spent some money to keep her running (including head gaskets), but overall it's a great truck and if you take care of it, it will last forever. The engine and transmission are bullet-proof and you won't find another SUV that's more satisfying to drive, tow, take offroad. Just my two-cents worth.

Jason

Old 03-09-2011 | 06:02 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by jasonnye
Don't get discouraged guys, the Disco II is a great vehicle. You just need to find a good, independent mechanic who knows Land Rovers, (I'm lucky to have a great mechanic here in Dayton). Anyway, NEVER go to the dealer for parts or service. Try to do as much work as you can on your own (this forum is a great resource!). You'll be surprised how much work you can actually do yourself with a little help from the group and getting your parts online (I like Atlantic British, but I also have an independent international parts store in town that has great prices). My 1999 Series II has 180k miles on it and it is running strong and looks like new! I've had my share of issues and spent some money to keep her running (including head gaskets), but overall it's a great truck and if you take care of it, it will last forever. The engine and transmission are bullet-proof and you won't find another SUV that's more satisfying to drive, tow, take offroad. Just my two-cents worth.

Jason
Updated running total for times "engine is bulletproof" has been said in an LR forum: 1

Old 03-09-2011 | 06:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by DiscoIIBrandon
Updated running total for times "engine is bulletproof" has been said in an LR forum: 1
Thanks for the laugh. The LR lawyers would like to change it to "BB Gun Resistant" with an * that this does not apply to anything over 1 pump.

Old 03-09-2011 | 06:23 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by discoiibrandon
updated running total for times "engine is bulletproof" has been said in an lr forum: 1
hahahahahahaha...<pause, breath>...hahahahahahahaha

Old 03-09-2011 | 07:27 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle

haha i was just gunna say, bulletproof? the 12v cummins motor, the jeep 4.0 and maybe the ford 4.6 modular could be described as that...

lol yea i do almost everything myself, other then engine/trans internal and most suspension. ill do brakes, oil, tune, starter, alternator, valve cover gaskets, hoses, thermos etc... but i wont attempt head gaskets, anything with the rotating assembly, or anything with the trans other then fluid/filter etc.

this is going to be my winter/bad weather car, NOTHING compares to my motorcycle, ive been on it all of febuary already in 19 degree 32mph crosswinds but i also cant afford to have a blown motor or trans down the road. i do plan to keep this a good while, i have always loved the looks, capablities and the interior design on discos since before i can remember. i like wranglers, but the are just so damn common, and the interior and ride are GARBAGE, plus anything other then a hardtop and you might as well bring a backpack with you to transport everything not bolted down in and out with you haha! i know this is far more a grand cherokee, but i HATE them with a passion.

id REALLY love to put a different motor in this down the line, anyone ever do motor swaps with discos? if i could put in a jeep 4.0, chevy 350 or ford 5.0 in there it would be far better reliablilty, and MUCH cheaper to repair haha.

only benefit with the disco i see is that parts are expensive, but you can get an entire replacement vehicle, RUNNING no less, for $500-1000 hahaha.

Old 03-09-2011 | 07:44 PM
Mudding

A comment in support of the dealer technicians - After I bought my Disco II I walked into a LR dealer shop and asked the mechanic about a slight vibration I was feeling. Without hesitation he reached into a garbage can and pulled out a front propshaft and said "this is likely your problem" and showed me how the dbl cardon goes bad because it can't be lubed. He also told me to not buy one from LR but to get aftermarket so I could get the greasable u-joints. No BS, a stand-up guy who was honest.

Quick Reply: Dealership BS warning