Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership BS warning

Old 03-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grandkodiak
lol yea i do almost everything myself, other then engine/trans internal and most suspension. ill do brakes, oil, tune, starter, alternator, valve cover gaskets, hoses, thermos etc... but i wont attempt head gaskets, anything with the rotating assembly, or anything with the trans other then fluid/filter etc.
Don't sell yourself short, I bet you could do the HGs...a couple of girls replaced them with the RAVE...

id REALLY love to put a different motor in this down the line, anyone ever do motor swaps with discos? if i could put in a jeep 4.0, chevy 350 or ford 5.0 in there it would be far better reliablilty, and MUCH cheaper to repair haha.
Do a search, you will find plenty on engine swaps threads...I want a diesel swap some day

...but you can get an entire replacement vehicle, RUNNING no less, for $500-1000 hahaha.
yes, yes you can...search craigslist

Old 03-09-2011, 08:13 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoIIBrandon
Updated running total for times "engine is bulletproof" has been said in an LR forum: 1
Lol, good to know. God knows I've thought about testing this a few times. I figured why waste the bullet though..

Old 03-09-2011, 08:32 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thospb
A comment in support of the dealer technicians - After I bought my Disco II I walked into a LR dealer shop and asked the mechanic about a slight vibration I was feeling. Without hesitation he reached into a garbage can and pulled out a front propshaft and said "this is likely your problem" and showed me how the dbl cardon goes bad because it can't be lubed. He also told me to not buy one from LR but to get aftermarket so I could get the greasable u-joints. No BS, a stand-up guy who was honest.
There are a couple of ex-dealer service mgrs. and master techs on this forum that are honest and true straight up, including, of course DiscoMike (Retired Service Mgr.) and RoverMasterTech (former dealer master tech; independent-shop now) and others I know I'm forgetting?...an awesome contribute to our forum IMO.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:59 PM
Drifting

Thanks RoverMasterTech,

Good to know you are close in NJ, I'll definitely keep your number handy. I have an uncle in Holmdel so maybe I'll pay you a visit next time I'm in the area. For now I am going to just drive and assume there is nothing wrong with the intake gasket and enjoy the truck, things change and I'll give you a call.

This is a great forum to which I am most grateful for getting me through the rude awakening on dealership practices. Thanks to all.

Old 10-07-2018, 03:14 PM
4wd Low
Default Paramus is the absolute WORST

Originally Posted by teeboli
Lesson learned...the hard way. What do you think is a reasonable price to pay for the Intake job or combo Intake/Head? I am in northern NJ and the price quoted just for the intake gasket at Prestige LR in Paramus is $2100. Obviously I cant take it there anymore...

Thanks for all your suggestions. I would like to keep this truck, love it actually, but given the issue at hand and the prospect of future dealer reaming I am starting to consider other options..
I had my 2011 Range Rover Supercharged there for a week, and they never even opened the hood. They kept lying to me over and over, and so i called to speak to the service manager, he wouldnt take my call, wouldnt return my calls, i tried the service director, same thing. I had it towed out to another dealership, and called to be sure there wasnt any bill. Thats when i was told they never even opened the hood, or there would be a bill. Stay away from this stealership, they have no idea what customer service is, or how to achieve it.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:31 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

I’ve had good results with Howard Orloff in Chicago, one guy is a jerk, but the prices really aren’t awful, of course I would never service it there.

Also, I have used the Dealership in Wayzata, MN off 394, and it’s a nice place, and they were actually very service oriented with me, even thought they obviously would rather stick me in a new model.

There is a LR Dedicated shop in St. Louis Park, who are expensive, but they are legit at fixing the Rovers, and you get what you pay for.

Old 10-08-2018, 08:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Good luck with Howard Orloff?

Their work is shoddy. I've found missing brackets and unclipped zip ties on my 2011. Its been serviced there all its life, I take it to Lake Bluff now.

Old 10-08-2018, 08:56 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by User
Good luck with Howard Orloff?

Their work is shoddy. I've found missing brackets and unclipped zip ties on my 2011. Its been serviced there all its life, I take it to Lake Bluff now.
i just order parts from them.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Gotcha!

Their sales people are very nice as well. Where do you park when you go there? I end up parking in their service bay..

Old 10-08-2018, 10:23 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

British Atlantic has a wholesale page on EBay. I bought the driver side front 1/2 axle and the sealed cv joint (already greased) for $56; I bought the wheel bearing including abs speed sensor for $64 dollars.

took it a week to get here from England....but the wheel bearing was $271 at AZ and AA, the 1/2 axle was over $100 too...

Got it here and had it bolted up and rolling within an hour.

I can wait a week for those savings.

Doc

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealership BS warning