Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decided to paint my wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 09:45 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Decided to paint my wheels...

Yes - that wheel paint sticks as well as factory paint. I've used it a few times. used it on my 93LWB where the chrome had flaked and it looked almost better than the chrome.

good job. How did you keep the paint off the TARS (tires)? duct tape? I've always ruined the tire look when painting...

Old 02-14-2008, 09:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

They look good.
Here is my suggestion. Spray can paint doesn't hold up well.They may look goodfreshly painted, butspray can paint dulls quickly and there is very little chip resistance.I've painted a lot of wheels over the years and what I would suggest (and maybe you did this with your L/R wheels) is to thoroughly wetsand them with 400 grit, spray a light coat of a non-sanding urethane sealer (for better stick and fill in sand scratches), then spray with an automotive grade urethane, or even an enamel with a hardener in it. The hardener will give you longevity and chip resistance. You don't have to use PPG top shelf paint, use somethinggood but a lot less expensivelike Omni or Nason single stage urethane, or enamel with a universal hardener. The hardener/activator is the key component. This will give you a long-life finish like OEM. If you want semi-gloss, add some flattening agent in the paint. That's how the pros do it.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:01 AM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: cold_surfer

Yes - that wheel paint sticks as well as factory paint. I've used it a few times. used it on my 93LWB where the chrome had flaked and it looked almost better than the chrome.

good job. How did you keep the paint off the TARS (tires)? duct tape? I've always ruined the tire look when painting...
Yep..Duct tape for the edge and then a sheet to cover the rest of the tire.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:21 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I coated everything with vaseline and then hosed it off at the car wash the next day....

Old 02-15-2008, 07:27 AM
Camel Trophy

ORIGINAL: DuplinDisco

ORIGINAL: okdiscoguy

I used to race my little BMW and painted both sets of rims with that stuff and it was awesome. Works very well for the pricetag...
BMW?? Tell me more!!
Nothing much to tell. I had 2 325e's. I got one for $200 and one for $400. It was just Solo2 scca. Had to geta license, but it was just a cone course on a huge parking lot. They were totally stock, but they ran great. I sold the $200 one for $1000 and it is still going. On my last race, the other one lost a master cylinder and 1&2 gear so I parked it. I moved, so I fired it up to go to the new house. Drove fine in 3rd and no brakes. The fuel pump dies right in front of the new house. I called a friend and let him tow it off. [&o]I miss it, but I am married now and have to be responsible (so I go the Disco). See the irony?

Old 02-15-2008, 11:00 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ive had a few e30's myself. I gave my brother my 87 325e and I'm telling you you can't kill the 2.7l ETA inline 6. even with the chip bumping the rev limit from 4800 to 5300 it doesn't affect that engine one bit. Over 300,000 miles on it. I had it for about 4 years befgore I gave it to him. It has yet to break down an it has been driven very hard. I can easily say that that old car has been the best car I have owned as far as reliability. I have only done sheduled maintainence and a few wear and tear items like tires and ball joints but it's been bulletproof. I also had an 86 325es, 84 318i, an and 3 85 745i turbos. I have one and a parts car at the moment. talk about one fast car. they never sold the 745i in the states back in the 80's because of the fuel crisis so everything is in German language and metrics. It is one cool car and man was it advanced for its time. 10 way power seats with 3 memory settings, heated seats, water buffalo hide leather, ABS on board computer and many more bells and whistles that I didn't even know existed in the 90's let alone 80's. Love those BMW's especially the inline 6 engines.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:02 PM
Mudding

So where in Oklahoma are you located? I am in Shreveport, La, not far from Oklahoma

Old 02-15-2008, 11:11 PM
Camel Trophy

I live in Tulsa. I agree with not being able to kill the 6. I tried everything....

Old 02-15-2008, 11:38 PM
Mudding

Trust me I have too. When I was working as an armed guard in New orleans after the hurricane I did alot of traveling back and fourth from Shreveport and when I was down there traffic was hell and I ran the $hit out of it and to this day it idles so smooth you can barely tell its running. I mean not a single miss sputter nothing, like a new engine. do you still have any BMW's / I am thinking of finding another e30. I love them and they are a blast to drive. I swear those things act like they have a heart or soul. A classic BMW and a Discovery, What more could I ask for besides having my house being paid off and finding a wife thats mute nympho who likes beer and football and cars.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:12 AM
Overlanding

How long did they take to dry and what did you sand them with?
Thanks,

Quick Reply: Decided to paint my wheels...