Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is that a Defender in the window?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Is that a Defender in the window?

I'm in Sao Paulo, Brazil on business, and we passed the local Land Rover dealer on the way to the office this morning. It was such a beautiful sight to see a brand new Defender sitting in the showroom. Damn, they are sweet. Saw one up close at the office and it was just downright awesome. Lots and lots of Freelander 2's down here, but not too many Discos. Apparently, cars are 110% more expensive than in the States. I sure wish we could get new Defenders. Oh, well, I like my Disco just fine.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:09 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

What do you do that they send you to Brazil?
The most exotic place my work sent we was New Orleans right after hurricane Katrina.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:21 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
What do you do that they send you to Brazil?
The most exotic place my work sent we was New Orleans right after hurricane Katrina.
LOL - I work for a "big, big bank" and manage Disaster Recovery for the region. This is my first trip down here. I'd look to see if I could test drive or rent a Defender, but there is no way in hell I'm getting behind the wheel of anything. The traffic is the worst I have ever seen anywhere. A 20 mile drive took 2 hours. And the freakin' motorcycles are EVERYWHERE. They "lane split" at ungodly speeds and I'm told about 2 or 3 die on a daily basis.

No thanks. I will take my overweight Disco any day.

What sent you to New Orleans?

BTW - I dig your blog!

Old 06-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Team Owner

I work for FedEx Home Delivery, because of the hurricane they were all backed up and it was right before Christmas.
So they took voluteers from all over the country and rented anything that would carry a package in the lower 48.
They took the seats out of passenger vans and used them.
We had the entire Hilton downtown to ourselves, I worked 10 days straight, no street signs, piles of rubble where houses used to be, flooded cars with mold growing inside them sitting on blocks because people stole the rims...it was fun.

I need to update my blog, I've been busy.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spike555
i work for fedex home delivery, because of the hurricane they were all backed up and it was right before christmas.
So they took voluteers from all over the country and rented anything that would carry a package in the lower 48.
They took the seats out of passenger vans and used them.
We had the entire hilton downtown to ourselves, i worked 10 days straight, no street signs, piles of rubble where houses used to be, flooded cars with mold growing inside them sitting on blocks because people stole the rims...it was fun.

I need to update my blog, i've been busy.
i live here and caint wait to gtfo

Old 06-12-2010, 09:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default you bet..

Originally Posted by humroot
I'm in Sao Paulo, Brazil on business, and we passed the local Land Rover dealer on the way to the office this morning. It was such a beautiful sight to see a brand new Defender sitting in the showroom. Damn, they are sweet. Saw one up close at the office and it was just downright awesome. Lots and lots of Freelander 2's down here, but not too many Discos. Apparently, cars are 110% more expensive than in the States. I sure wish we could get new Defenders. Oh, well, I like my Disco just fine.
They sell them everywhere in the world but here..We bitch and complain about the oil spill now in the gulf but hey why would we want to import trucks with diesel engines that get double the milage and could run on bio and veggie... we are hipocrits....and they wonder why people don't vote...we are a unique country that espires to be the best run the absolutly the worst bunch on FM on the planet...

Last edited by vandev; 06-12-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:06 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Actually the defender can't be sold due to safety reasons and that is why it is getting updated. Plus only diesels can be sold in 48 states. The other two have stricter rules and LR can't afford to make diesels fit those two markets. So they don't. Benz and BMW can afford it but only cause they have large fleets. Also BMW finally got large enough to bring their diesels over.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default thats what they say anyway...

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
Actually the defender can't be sold due to safety reasons and that is why it is getting updated. Plus only diesels can be sold in 48 states. The other two have stricter rules and LR can't afford to make diesels fit those two markets. So they don't. Benz and BMW can afford it but only cause they have large fleets. Also BMW finally got large enough to bring their diesels over.

thats what they say anyway...have you seen a smart car or for that matter a mimi, or scion xb.....I would rather take my chances on a motorcycle...You know the biggest blockaid of defenders is LR North America.. 48 states...who gives a hoot about the two that dont..again a BBOS....

Old 06-12-2010, 04:34 PM
Team Owner
Old 06-13-2010, 03:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the rear fender flair on the d2 trips me out

Quick Reply: Is that a Defender in the window?