Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detroit TrueTrac Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Detroit TrueTrac Install

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about getting a TrueTrac for my front diff to help with some of the tracking issues I have since the lift. I was hoping you all could let me know if this is something a DIY'er could tackle in the garage or if it's better left to the pros. I keep reading how they are "drop-in" replacements. I have no problem taking off the drive shaft and such, but is there some stuff that a DIY'er just can't do?

Thanks!

Old 06-01-2009, 01:08 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

pretty sure you will want it installed. They send you a full third member with the True trac already installed. Then you just swap and send yours back. Otherwise, you have to time them when installing.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
pretty sure you will want it installed. They send you a full third member with the True trac already installed. Then you just swap and send yours back. Otherwise, you have to time them when installing.

i am thinking about doing this in 10 years or so... but what do u mean by "time" them?? i think i know what what mean but please clarify.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Jamie, if you have never set up a set of gears, then either have a shop do it, or pay the extra, and have Bill at Great Basins Rovers send you a 3rd. member already installed.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Jamie, if you have never set up a set of gears, then either have a shop do it, or pay the extra, and have Bill at Great Basins Rovers send you a 3rd. member already installed.

That's what I was looking for. I have no experience with gears, so I will be looking for a good driveline shop. Perhaps the folks that did my front drive shaft?

Thanks, Mike!

Old 06-01-2009, 03:04 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

You want a mechanic who has rebuilt 3rd. members, not someone who can rebuild a drive shaft.
Call aeound and get some estimates, then get back to us so we can keep you from getting screwed on the deal.
By the way, the T.T. will settle down your tracking issues real well, I haqve one in the front and a Detroit in the rear.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah gears are definitely not something you want to just jump into without someone with a good deal of experience helping you... find a shop that sets up race cars or off road vehicles... most of them will have someone who can do it confidently...

Old 06-01-2009, 04:55 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know my opinion still doesn't mean squat here because I'm a newbie but I can safely say that as a Jeeper that likes to get dirty under the hood, I highly recommend finding a good 4x4 shop to install your LSD or LOCKER/GEARS or your head will explode. It's worth every cent to have a good shop do the install it's a bit of an art to install gears and lsd/lockers correctly. Good luck I've never used it but I really like the Design of the True trac

Old 06-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jycsalas
i am thinking about doing this in 10 years or so... but what do u mean by "time" them?? i think i know what what mean but please clarify.
Not sure if I used the proper terminology, but I helped a buddy do it, and it took us 3 tries to get the gears in the right order. Kept locking right up. I tried to search for an install, and this is the closest I could come up with.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/...d.php?t=382377

Old 06-01-2009, 05:24 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by discoxd
yeah gears are definitely not something you want to just jump into without someone with a good deal of experience helping you... find a shop that sets up race cars or off road vehicles... most of them will have someone who can do it confidently...
I'm not sure if there are any places that work on race cars down here in Charlotte...;-)

I called the place that did my drive shaft, they usually work on big trucks. He said no problem, asked if I were doing a gear change (no), and quoted about $275. Sound about right?

Quick Reply: Detroit TrueTrac Install