Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dex-cool FLUSH down the sewer drain?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 10:36 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Dex-cool FLUSH down the sewer drain?

I am defiantly nature conscience being an avid hunter and fisherman, but this weekend I will change my dex-cool to a non dex-cool aluminum safe coolant (and change the thermostat as well) and was wondering if it was ok to let the coolant FLUSH go down the sewer drain being that dex-cool is biodegradable.

I will capture the old dex-cool coolant as it comes out of my lower radiator hose into my oil catcher pan (the local dump said they will take it), but I'm sure I will not have enough room in the oil catcher to do a couple of hose water flushes as well to make sure all of the old coolant is out.

Is it wrong to let the hose water flush go down the sewer? It is biodegradable isn't it? My gut reaction says not too, but I wanted get another opinion.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:13 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hmm that's a good question. dex-cool is OAT (Organic Acid Technology) antifreeze, which makes you think it would be safe to flush. If somebody on here can't give you a definite answer call a local radiator shop and ask them.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:42 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hopefully you mean flush down the toilet or sink, and not down the storm drain.

i imagine the treatment works would not encourage you to do this, but depending on the plant, i imagine the removal efficiency is pretty high.

rv's winterize their toilets and sinks with antifreeze...

Old 10-16-2009, 09:55 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by oysterhead
hopefully you mean flush down the toilet or sink, and not down the storm drain.

i imagine the treatment works would not encourage you to do this, but depending on the plant, i imagine the removal efficiency is pretty high.

rv's winterize their toilets and sinks with antifreeze...
First why are you wanting to switch to an unproven coolant for your truck that are prone to head gasket issues already.

Second, why the hell would you flush your coolant down the toilet, I have known people who should have been shot for less stupid things. Great to add to our drinking water.

Flush your system and do as you are supposed to and take it to an auto parts store for disposal.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:43 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
First why are you wanting to switch to an unproven coolant for your truck that are prone to head gasket issues already.

Second, why the hell would you flush your coolant down the toilet, I have known people who should have been shot for less stupid things. Great to add to our drinking water.

Flush your system and do as you are supposed to and take it to an auto parts store for disposal.
Disco Mike...I think you misunderstood what I wrote or actually I should have made it more clear.

I'm switching AWAY from Dex-cool and putting in PEAK Global™ LifeTime™ 50/50 Prediluted Antifreeze & Coolant (proven by Spike and others on the thread and is aluminum safe). And I only meant to flush the empty radiator "hose flush water" down the storm drain, not the actual Dex-cool (which I will capture in my oil catcher). I just assumed that I will probably go through 10 or more gallons on the flush with the "hose water" and my oil catcher will not hold that much.

Since Dex-cool is biodegradable, I'm trying to figure out the harm of letting the "hose flush water" ONLY go down the storm drain? The dex-cool I catch in my oil catcher will go to the county dump. NO auto parts stores in my area will take old coolant, only oil. Not Advanced Auto, not Schucks, not Parts Plus.

Isn't this why dex-cool was put in the truck in the first place, because it was environmentally friendly? According to my research, Propylene Glycol based (OAT) anti-freeze/coolants: "It is biodegradable and requires no special disposal costs or procedures in most areas. Above all, its low toxicity presents no threat to children, pets or wildlife."

So which is it, biodegradable or not? It can't be both.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:48 AM
Administrator

I can't help you on that question. Thank you for clearing up what you are doing and I am still wondering why you want to go against Rovers recomondation regarding using DexCool?

Old 10-16-2009, 10:50 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do NOT put the coolant down the storm drain! Flushing down toilet is iffy, but storm drain is a definite NO.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:52 AM
Winching

Disco Mike...doesn't dex-cool ruin gaskets? Or am I misinformed?

Old 10-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by oysterhead
Do NOT put the coolant down the storm drain! Flushing down toilet is iffy, but storm drain is a definite NO.
oysterhead...I'm leaning in your direction...I need to re-think how I will capture the "hose flush water".

Does anyone have any ideas?

Old 10-16-2009, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Toilet or sewer system disposal, it all goes into the same neighbor hood water processing plant and we drink it somewhere down the road.

Quick Reply: Dex-cool FLUSH down the sewer drain?