Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dex-cool FLUSH down the sewer drain?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 05:11 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe dex-cool is better for the environment than regular coolant but I would read the msds before you go chugging it and feeding to your kids for breakfast. From what
I can tell from a quick search it is still 90% ethylene glycol and will most definitely kill you if you drank enough of it. Out of curiosity where are you hearing that is is safe for the neighbor's new puppy?

Old 10-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lipadj46
I believe dex-cool is better for the environment than regular coolant but I would read the msds before you go chugging it and feeding to your kids for breakfast. From what
I can tell from a quick search it is still 90% ethylene glycol and will most definitely kill you if you drank enough of it. Out of curiosity where are you hearing that is is safe for the neighbor's new puppy?
Hey lipadj46:

http://www.synthetic-motor-oil-air-f...antifreeze.htm
http://www.shellusserver.com/products/pdf/Dexcool.pdf

bi·o·de·grad·a·ble audio (b-d-grd-bl) KEY

ADJECTIVE:

Capable of being decomposed by biological agents, especially bacteria: a biodegradable detergent.

I'm done...used a plastic bin and caught it all. Got about 12 gallons with the "hose flush water" and old dex-cool. By the way, the t-stat was very easy to get too and I was able to re-use the "clamps". I will take the waste to the dump tomorrow and I will ask how they dispose of it. Thanks for the lively discussion!

Old 10-16-2009, 07:55 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

See, this is what happens when you post after I have gone to bed lol.
http://sancarlosradiator.com/dex-cool.htm
Engine coolant, like lubricating oils, have a infinite life, meaning when they are recycled the old worn out additives are replaced and the oil is as good as new.
When you take your old coolant to the quick lube to be recycled they pour it into the waste oil drum.
When that drum is full a oil recycler comes and sucks out all of the old oil, which is a mixture of gear lube, tranny fluid, coolant, engine oil.
Then that goes to their distillery, where the oil is distilled, it goes into a tank, put under pressure, heated to boiling and then the oil evaporates, they condense the oil and all that is left is the sludge, or dirt, metal, whatever was in the oil that made it dirty to begin with.
Just like distilling sea water, when you boil it and collect it what is left is clean pure drinking water and the salt and minerals stay in the bottom of the pan.
They then take that new oil and make it into whatever they want.
Add friction and viscosity modifiers "A" and BAM!, 10w-30, and modifiers "B" and BAM! gear lube.
The only fluids that cannot be recycled are brake fluid and hydrolic oil (brake fluid) because they are corrosive, they must be incinerated.
Engine coolant can also be recycled, once all the crud is taken out you just add back in the lubricant and it is all good.
Antifreeze is alcohol, it never goes bad but the lubricants that are added to lube your water pump bearings do wear out and must be replaced.
On over the road semi's they never change the coolant, they just add lubricant to the coolant every 300,000 miles and keep going.
It gets replaced if they replace the hoses or water pump.

http://safety-kleen.com/services/Oil...Solutions.aspx
I used to work here, I had to learn all about engine coolants and oil recycling as well as HAZMAT recycling and disposal.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:30 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

+1 spike for the science lesson

Old 10-17-2009, 12:56 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just do what my dad does on his property.

takes oil old oil and coolant and mixes it with concrete and makes blocks out of it.

my dad is a odd man at times

Old 10-17-2009, 04:31 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That is odd.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:39 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sloppyjoe
just do what my dad does on his property.

takes oil old oil and coolant and mixes it with concrete and makes blocks out of it.

my dad is a odd man at times
Thats how they built Rome.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:40 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Spike555
Thats how they built Rome.
i think its for a new deck,,, not quite rome, but almost

Old 10-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Team Owner

Whatever works right?

Old 10-17-2009, 04:49 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Spike555
Whatever works right?
rightO

Quick Reply: Dex-cool FLUSH down the sewer drain?