Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DEX-COOL to use or not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 01:21 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DEX-COOL to use or not?

According to DiscoMike, in the Major Service thread he specifically says "2 Gallons of OAT, orange coolant, also called DexCool" BUT every other post I come across says "DO NOT USE DEX-COOL, it is the #1 cause of overheating and head gasket failure in these engines"
So which is it? Am I OK to use G-05 http://www.valvoline.com/products/br.../antifreeze/42 or is it the same stuff? http://www.whitfieldoil.com/www/docs...ntifreeze.html

Old 12-17-2010, 01:32 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

this has been covered a zillion times over. some people will tell you to stick by the book and use dexcool otheres will say use universal or g05 or urine...

i dont think its a cause of overheating or head gasket failure. that is just outright wrong. air in the sytem with dexcool can be a problem but dexcool alone is not a problem.

personally i use peak universal. but thats just me.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:39 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

whatever you do, change it frequently and do NOT mix orange and green.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:00 PM
Mudding

gotcha.
yeah, I know about not mixing the two colors I found that out on an 99 VW beetle my wife had that calls for g12 or something like that it's pink and the previous owner put green stuff in it. I opened the radiator to drain it to change the water pump and tan goop dripped out.
I just wanted to have the right info. I searched but still kept seeing conflicting info, i guess it all goes back to the saying "you ask 100 different people, you'll get 100 different answers"

Old 12-17-2010, 02:30 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I personally dont like dex-cool and think it does contribute to head gasket failures..research the law suit against it and search on here then make your decision

Old 12-17-2010, 03:22 PM
Rock Crawling

I'm afraid to respond to this as I have no leaks and running Dexcol.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:16 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About a month ago I flushed my coolant system and replaced the Dex-cool with Peak Global Lifetime.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:33 PM
Winching

About a month ago I flushed my coolant system and replaced the Dex-cool with Peak Global Lifetime.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:18 PM
4wd Low

Can someone give me some halfway logical reason why they think or know dexcool is not good to use in the Land Rover?? What would make it cause a blown head gasket or whatever it supposedly does? Makes absolutely no sense to me thus far.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:35 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Auto Parts Guy
Can someone give me some halfway logical reason why they think or know dexcool is not good to use in the Land Rover?? What would make it cause a blown head gasket or whatever it supposedly does? Makes absolutely no sense to me thus far.
Engines that use dexcool need to be designed in a certain way and with the proper gasket material. This is not conjecture, GM learned this the hard way. The DII was designed before GM had this all figured out so it was not the best decision IMO. You don't want dex in an engine that is prone to leaks as it turns into a mess from what I have seen in my own engine. Whether is causes the head gasket issues I'm not sure. I have seen my throttle body heater gasket eaten up by what I assume was the dex.

Me I prefer green or G05..

Quick Reply: DEX-COOL to use or not?