Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dexcool - read this

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 10:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dexcool - read this

I challenge all of you to google "dexcool" and see what comes up. I've read more and more about this, and what you'll find is hundreds of complaints, class action law suits and everything else all attributing coolant leaks, head gasket failures, water pump failures, coolant system corrosion and a host of other problems to dexcool. Strike anyones interest that rovers are notorious for such problems?...including the new coolant leak at the top end of my '04 SE's motor. I'm not a big witch hunter...but it sure is suspect. I may just switch to regular PEG coolant after I repair my leak and see what's what.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Dexcool - read this

I recently replaced all my hoses, and flushed the radiator. I flushed water through 5 times because I am **** about not having anyhting bad where it isn't supposed to be. I had the green stuff in, but put Dexcool back in. Should I drain and go in reverse? has anyone else switched to Dexcool?

Old 05-20-2007, 09:09 PM
Mudding

Disco Mike told me to use Dexcool....idk what to do. I did google it and saw the same stuff you are talking about...

Old 05-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Rock Crawling

Yeah, not sure what to make of it but there sure is alot of evidence to make me think it's a problem. My rover is still under warranty, so whatever they put in for the time being I'll see what happens. Once the warranty expires I think I'll do a good flush and replace w/ regular coolant.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 05-21-2007, 04:25 PM
Three Wheeling

Dexcool is pretty crappy stuff. For whatever chemical/reactionary reason, it’s prone to crystallizing. Obviously, keeping the system full and free of leaks is important with any coolant but, given that the crystallization process typically requires air/oxygen, it’s even more important in Dexcool’ed systems. Also, for the same reasons, it’s worth changing Dexcool more often than you might with another coolant.

Despite the documented issues with Dexcool, the consensus seems to be……if your vehicle has always had Dexcool in it, you’re better off sticking with it. I’ve read about a number of Dexcool issues that seemed to result from chemical reactions with other coolants. In other words, changing coolants, even after a good flush, might cause enough of a mixture to create a reaction.

Old 05-22-2007, 03:18 PM
Drifting

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...m_dexcool.html

I WILL NEVER USE DEXCOOL!...

Old 05-25-2007, 11:40 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the heads up guys. Once we're out of warranty (another 6 months or so) I'm with y'all, I think Ill switch to the coolant the Benz uses, yellow stuff that's about $17 a gallon but what the heck a properly maintained Benz will hit 400k without blinking! Just kidding on using "whatever." What I'm really asking is what would you guys use instead? Just standard Prestone?