Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DI ABS Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009 | 05:06 PM
|
Winching
Default DI ABS Questions

Ok so I am trying to understand the ABS on a DI..

First of all..

The light comes on every time I start the Truck, then goes out after I start to drive.. NORMAL??

Second...

It seems to me that the ABS dosent work very well.. I would go so far as to say that "IT IS DANGEROUS"!!!
Today, for example.. I was leaving the jobsight their were cars on one side of the road, I was going down hill approaching an intersection. A woman comes around the corner WAY to fast.. The cars were on her side of the road. I put on the brakes and moved all the way to the right. My right front tire barely left the road into the grass, and locked up, the ABS comes on, It makes a whining sound through the speakers, the pedal goes soft and I am at the mercy of the ABS.. I still had 3 wheels on solid pavement, yet now the entire brake system is held hostage by ONE WHEEL!!! Is this how it is supposed to work?? Good thing it wasnt a child in the road!!

Old 02-12-2009 | 06:30 PM
Camel Trophy
Default RE: DI ABS Questions

Ok, I think the lights mean that there have been faults in the past that are stored in the computer, but when you start off, it shuts off because the faults are no longer present. Mine has been messed up from day 1, so I can't tell you what normal is.

Sounds like your ABS worked properly, with the exception of it going soft. Did your pedal just push to the floor when it happened?

Old 02-12-2009 | 06:46 PM
Pro Wrench

the lights are normal, they come on and when the vehicle reaches 7 mph they go out, its to check your wheel speed sensors. and the noise doesnt come through the speakers, its the abs unit under the hood that it actuating the brake lines. however yes, the system is not that great, when it activates, you better be ready to stand on that pedal or you wont stop. abs activating causes the car to take longer to stop, but it allows you to still be able to control the car.

Old 02-12-2009 | 07:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Your ABS is working just as it should be. I don't like that the system kicks in very early on these trucks so I will be yanking mine out.

Old 02-12-2009 | 07:14 PM
Mudding

Ask Spike screw the ABS on the D1

Old 02-12-2009 | 07:34 PM
Team Owner

Yes the ABS on a DI sucks A$$.
The ABS light comes on when you start the truck and then shuts off after you reach 5-7MPH.
Here is how you fix your ABS.
Open the hood, open the under hood fuse box, remove the ABS fuse, close under hood fuse box, close hood.
You will never have ABS issues again.

Old 02-12-2009 | 07:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle

spike what about the ABS fuse under the dash? I pulled both fuses and drove the truck home the next time I started the truck my CEL came on, does the fuse under the dash turn on the CEL?

Old 02-12-2009 | 08:10 PM
Team Owner

The ABS fuse has nothing to do with the check engine light.
I pulled the fuse under the hood because it is the same as throwing a circuit breaker in the breaker box, it removes all power to that circuit.
Removing the fuse under the dash is like turning off a light switch, it only cuts power to the light.
If you pull the fuse under the hood there is no need to pull the fuse under the dash.

Old 02-12-2009 | 09:49 PM
|
Winching

ORIGINAL: Spike555

Yes the ABS on a DI sucks A$$.
The ABS light comes on when you start the truck and then shuts off after you reach 5-7MPH.
Here is how you fix your ABS.
Open the hood, open the under hood fuse box, remove the ABS fuse, close under hood fuse box, close hood.
You will never have ABS issues again.

Thats exactly what I thought would solve it..

Old 02-12-2009 | 09:50 PM
7th Gear

I've always had the problem of my ABS coming on whenever I came to just a regular stop. Uphill, downhill, left, right, didn't matter. The pedal would start pumping and I'd have to basically stand up in my seat on the pedal to stop in enough time. The light has been on since I've owned the car for the past four years, and I just got used to it and ignored it. I've recently pulled all of my ABS fuses from under the dash and under the hood, and my ABS light is still on in the dash display. I haven't had any other ABS problems since pulling the fuses, but I don't know why the light hasn't gone off in the dash. At least I'm not worried about accidentally not stopping quick enough because of some stupid faulty ABS

Quick Reply: DI ABS Questions