Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DI/DII questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 11:46 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DI/DII questions

I'm still shopping for my disco. I've been looking at DIs almost exclusively, mostly due to the stronger front CVs & to a lesser extent, fewer electronics. A good DI is hard to come by, but I'm finding lots of 99-2002 DIIs.

I want to eventually run 33"-35" tires on a 3"-4" suspension lift, so I've been researching HD axles. I found the Ashcroft website, & lo and behold they have HD CVs & half shafts for the DII. Furthermore, they look beefier than their DI HD CVs. I guess they can do this because the open CV area on the DII allows them to make a bigger joint, while the enclosed CV area on the DI restricts the outer diameter.

Here's the DII link and the DI link. On the DI, the amount of metal between the axle & the ***** look frighteningly thin while on the DIIs they are pretty thick & beefy.

So I'm wondering if my concern over the weak CV joint on the DII is warranted, since I'll have to upgrade them to HDs for bigger tires anyway? Plus it looks like I can fit bigger tires under a DII without trimming? Also, Do all 2001s have the CDL in the T-case?

The DIIs also seem to be less prone to rusting.

Any advice would be helpful, Thanks!

Last edited by Disco Den; 02-22-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 2001 had the CDL until mid production year. As far as the the other question, I was reading this on another forum so it may help you http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=38914.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:11 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I think you are over thinking the whole thing.
First you need to get your truck and then actually take it off road and see what you may need.
http://www.youtube.com/watch#playnex...&v=ziZ5SZ1mn9g

http://www.youtube.com/watch_videos?...type=3&index=1

All of the Camel Trophy trucks are 100% stock, they just add safety gear and recovery equipment.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:13 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Spike555
I think you are over thinking the whole thing.
First you need to get your truck and then actually take it off road and see what you may need.

All of the Camel Trophy trucks are 100% stock, they just add safety gear and recovery equipment.
Thanks, those videos are cool & make me satisfied that I'm going with a Disco rather than another Jeep or a Toyota

Video #1 has me thinking I'll need armor & a couple of lockers, which brings me to thinking about the CV Joints differences between the DI & DII. Which makes me think DI... but finding one in good shape around here is nearly impossible, though there are a few DIIs so if I can upgrade the CV's I might be fine with a DII.

Which kinda brings me around to thinking if the DII axle can be beefed up beyond that of a DI, & I'm planning on doing a coil spring lift anyway, Why not a DII? & since I know I'll be doing at least 33" tires, for a few reasons, eventually, & from what I've seen a DI needs significant trimming for that, but since some people use DII flares on their trimmed DIs, maybe with a 3" lift, 33"s will fit under a DII without trimming? I'd really prefer not to trim!

I don't know, so I thought I'd ask people who do. Yes, I might be over thinking, but I'd rather do this now while I'm shopping for the most important piece of the project. I totally under-thought the purchase of my Jeep & it ended up costing me in the long run. I don't want to make the same mistake twice!

Old 02-22-2010, 09:24 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by salve7
The 2001 had the CDL until mid production year. As far as the the other question, I was reading this on another forum so it may help you http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=38914.
That's a good read. The point I got is neither Ashcrofts are likely to break, which is good. My pre-purchase musings here aren't really about the Ashcrofts per se, but whether I should be excluding DIIs from my search because of the weaker stock CVs, because I'd likely end up upgrading them anyway?

Finding a good clean DI in Minnesota has been very frustrating, & if I could put aside my concerns about the DII, I might actually have a Disco by the end of the month.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:09 AM
Mudding

The second video makes me wonder why Camel Trophy drivers use aviation sectional charts for off-road maps?

Do the CT Discos at least have lockers? Anyone know what size wheels & tires they are running?

Old 02-23-2010, 10:33 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Den
Do the CT Discos at least have lockers? Anyone know what size wheels & tires they are running?
No lockers. The tires were 7.50x16 XCL's, but they also used XZL's some years, and even some BFG.

Last edited by antichrist; 02-23-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:43 PM
Mudding

I test drove a DI yesterday, too rusty to buy, but I drove it. I noticed I felt like I was sitting higher off the floor than I was in the DIIs I've driven. I did notice that the DII seats do adjust for height, while the DI only tip the front of the seat. I'd rather sit a bit lower, the visibility out the DI windshield kinda felt like I had a ball cap pulled too far down on my head.

Salve 7, I see you have both DI & DII. do the front seats in the DII go lower than in a DI?

I should have my purchase complete this week, so I won't be bothering everyone much longer!

Old 02-23-2010, 05:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't really noticed, however I will try and take a quick measurement when I get home tonight and reply tomorrow.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:31 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Den
The second video makes me wonder why Camel Trophy drivers use aviation sectional charts for off-road maps?

When I said that the Camel Trophy trucks were 100% stock thats exactly what I meant, drive it from the factory to the ship to the jungle.
They are all diesels but other than that they are the exact same truck that you buy.
We cant get diesels here in the US, only the rest of the world.

Quick Reply: DI/DII questions