Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

diagnostic codes and code readers

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 08:06 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diagnostic codes and code readers

Ok. So I'm recently back in my 2004 disco HSE that I had given to my dad as a back up car when I purchased a new LR4. Sold the LR4 and took the Disco to the dealer to see what they suggested to do to get it back up to snuff. I ended up having my guy install new head gasket, new rear hubs, new water pump, and add fluids to the transfer case. After dad drove the car 10 hours towing my boat to me, the car was running great but could tell that the universal joints were bad. Had three u-joints replaced, it is running and driving like a dream; damn I missed this vehicle...But I did not miss the three amigos. They came on yesterday, so I stopped into Advanced Auto and bought a code reader that claims the ability to read and diagnose all codes on all cars newer than 1995 including ABS codes. When I first hooked it up in response to the three amigos...TC, ABS, HDS...it read P0441 evaporation emission system-Incompetent Purge Flow. So, there is a part and fix for that according to Ad. Auto Guy. Any comments on what to do from those of you who know are appreciated.

So, I reset and hit the road to continue my afternoon chores...and this time I get the ABS, TC, and brake lights. I get where I'm going and plug in the reader. This time, it gives me P1590- No DTC Definition Found...See Service Manual. So after briefly googling this error code last night as I was falling asleep, I see that it is a rough road error and that this error could come from a multitude of issues. From what I read on various threads, I think that folks in the know were advising the people with this error that they needed a particular Discovery 2 specific ABS code reader to pinpoint exactly what the problem is. Is this true? If true, can you please tell me exactly what kind of diagnostic readers that I need to have to figure out current and future issues, as I plan on getting this vehicle right and keeping it right for a long, long time, and I really don't want to go out and waste anymore money on tools that don't tell me the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Additional info on the p1590 code and my car. I saw where someone got this code because they changed out the air suspension for coils and did not adjust something...causing the sensor to give this code. I had coils installed just after giving the car to dad, and I do not know if this is causing the problem. When you switch from air suspension to coils, what are you supposed to do, if anything, to make the affected sensors realize you made this switch and not generate error codes?

As you all can probably tell, I am not mechanically inclined...yet! I've never studied how an engine works, and I've never worked on anything on a car more complicated than bleeding air out of a line. That said, I plan on learning as much as possible and becoming a self-taught Disco 2 expert mechanic over the next five years. Any specific responses to my current specific questions or issues is greatly appreciated, as is any general advice anyone cares to take the time to give me about what I need to acquire and steps I need to take to get better at understanding how to take care of my machine. Thanks in advance, Eric

Old 06-05-2015, 08:23 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

1590 is a generic ABS code you need something land rover specific to pull the real codes

Old 06-05-2015, 09:55 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, that's what I figured out last night AFTER buying diagnostic reader from Advanced Auto...didn't do my homework, so now I'm trying to make up the homework I should have done prior to purchasing something that ain't helping me! What brand/model do I need? I want something that will do the job and do it right without cutting corners. While I don't want to buy something beyond what I need, I do not mind spending a little more money to get the right tool. Thanks.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:03 AM
Baja

icarsoft can be purchased for 130 on ebay will give you ABS & SRS but there are a few to choose from now

Old 06-05-2015, 10:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

If you want to spend more and have to ability to do some programming. I would suggest the Nanocom Evolution. Home Page - NANOCOM Evolution

Old 06-05-2015, 11:10 AM
Baja

yes there is quite a few options when you get to the $500-600 range

Old 06-05-2015, 02:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

X2 on icarsoft-i930, for the money,(IMO), it's the best land rover specific in market, if want to stay around $150 or less.

Last edited by Bom2oo2; 06-05-2015 at 03:27 PM.