Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diagnostic Tool Lenders

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 10:08 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Diagnostic Tool Lenders

I think a thread would be appropriate that lists diagnostic tool owners in different regions who are willing to lend or rent their tools to others in need, or who would be willing to let someone use their tool to look up a specific code, in their presence. I just purchased the Hawkeye Total for $350 from Rimmer Bros in the UK, after unsuccessfully asking on this forum for someone to lend me a tool. And my only need for it was to pull the ABS fault code, which was the typical 4114 SVS eletrical fault.

So if anyone wants to post their location or area at least and what their terms are for loaning out their tool, or just post that they’re willing to be PM’ed about it, put it here.

I’ll go first.

I’m in Fayetteville, Arkansas, and I’ll loan out my Hawkeye Total for a weekend for $350 cash collateral and beer. Obviously as long as I get the tool back unharmed all $350 goes back to the lender and I just keep the beer. As an alternative, someone could PM me and we could meet somewhere and I could just pull codes right there for them, then no collateral has to be taken. I'd still take beer though.

Last edited by za105; 09-13-2018 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Updated Suggestion
Old 09-13-2018, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I’ve got no problem meeting up and running diagnostics or doing some key fob programming, BCU settings, but I will not loan my scan tools out. I’ve been burned before and either got my stuff back broken, tampered with, parts missing like diagnostic cables, or adapters. Or I never got them back at all....

So I have no problem doing stuff for customers or friends, but I’ll be the one using my scantools.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
So I have no problem doing stuff for customers or friends, but I’ll be the one using my scantools.
Exactly. I don’t mind driving to help out someone in need but I paid too much for my tools to lend them out

Old 09-13-2018, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

Yep I tried it and it just got burnt. I’m all about helping LR folks, but ya just gotta draw the line sometimes.

Perfect example is the D2 I sold the other day. I clearly mentioned no title status, and it was for off road only, parts, or you’d have to apply for a Bonded Title. Signed the bill of sale & a week later dude is trying to get me to buy it back or pay off the lien..... Acting like I lied to him, and he’s not happy. People want something for nothing these days & when it comes time to be an adult they run home to mommy & throw a fit. I triple checked myself & it’s a signed contract. I have the ad, copy of signed bill of sale, and the electronic deposit into my bank. Nothing fishy there at all and I even gave him the info/bill of sale from the woman I bought it from. He can go get a lawyer, but it’ll cost him 4-5k just to get started & I have my proof I sold it as is... no warranty, and the ad clearly list “No Title”.

I’ve bought part LR’s for years and I’ve used them for just that. If I was going to register it I’d do my homework before running down to the tax office to just get some tags & drive off into the sunset lol.

Sad how people are these days! My last scantool I loaned out came back crushed. Dude sat it on the ground while he checked something, forgot about it laying on the ground, and he backed over it. When I said just get me a new one no harm no foul (where ever he got it and any price I didn’t care) Guy tried to blame me it didn’t have the strap to go around you neck.... I said ok if you’re tight on $$ then what do you have to trade? He said he’d go bring me some stuff & I never saw or heard back from him. So nope I’ll do the diagnostics myself from now on lol.

Last edited by Best4x4; 09-13-2018 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:37 PM
Rock Crawling

That's fair, and precisely why I would only do it for $350 cash collateral. If someone steals it or breaks it, I buy a brand new one or just keep the cash until I need another one.

But even if people knew who in their area had a tool, and they themselves were given permission to meet up and use the tool with the owner present, I'm sure that would help a lot of people. Then you don't have to deal with collateral or "transactions." I updated the thread to include that suggestion. I like it guys.

PS That sucks about your D2 sale Best4x4, what a pain. Seems like I've met more and more D2 owners who just bought it because it was nothing more than a cheap "cool car," and didn't have any of the Land Rover "brotherhood" mentality about them. I'm trying to fight that. I still wave at every D2 in my area, though I've only gotten wave backs 10% of the time.

Last edited by za105; 09-13-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Yep I Bleed Green & wave at any LR, never get any waves back normally, but when I do it’s all worth it! I’ve actually had a lot of Jeep’s wave at me, either they think it’s a Jeep or they just like LR’s lol and yep this guy apparently wanted a 50k SUV for gocart prices. The lien is 1k, so if he pays it he’s got a mechanically perfect 03 D2 which isn’t bad IMHO.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

I read the post by best 4 x4 about the title situation. I can tell you that in my state it goes by county as far as getting a new title. My brother has a mechanic shop on the other side of the state. I bought a real peach with no title. All I did was have him fix a brake light and left it parked at his shop for 3 months. That let him get a mechanics title which he then transferred to me. Easy peasy

As far as diagnostic tools, I have lent them out via mail several times. Always got them back with no problems. I never asked for a deposit. Maybe I am just dumb but until I get screwed over I am not gonna worry about it. I figure if the guy is on this board then he is a player and I am glad to help. Especially if he is a kid trying to learn something.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:49 PM
Winching
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I am in the Bay Area and have a Hawkeye Total. I am willing to help someone scan their truck if needed.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:19 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by zuke
I read the post by best 4 x4 about the title situation. I can tell you that in my state it goes by county as far as getting a new title. My brother has a mechanic shop on the other side of the state. I bought a real peach with no title. All I did was have him fix a brake light and left it parked at his shop for 3 months. That let him get a mechanics title which he then transferred to me. Easy peasy

As far as diagnostic tools, I have lent them out via mail several times. Always got them back with no problems. I never asked for a deposit. Maybe I am just dumb but until I get screwed over I am not gonna worry about it. I figure if the guy is on this board then he is a player and I am glad to help. Especially if he is a kid trying to learn something.
you wouldn’t be in or close to Lexington / Frankfort KY would you?

i need to program a fob.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:06 PM
Rock Crawling

zuke, Jason B, very cool guys!

Quick Reply: Diagnostic Tool Lenders